• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memtest86 acting weird

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheNamelessOne

Memory problems in dual channel mode

Ok I am having some problems with my PC not being stable and I think it may have something to do with my newly purchased Mushkin BH5. Now when I put in the memtest floppy and restart my computer the weirdest thing happens, I get a screen that looks like this:
AX:2021
BX:1A00
CX:0001
DX:0100
AX:0212
BX:1A00
...and so on through the whole screen. And when I tried the floppy on a second computer the same thing happend. Anyone ever experience this?

Last edited:
I'm thinking when you made the bootable floppy, something corrupted. Something that can easily be possible if your memory is at fault. You should try formatting the floppy and re-running the install utility for memtest on another computer. Possibly a different floppy. Just wanna get that out of the way before we mess with your computer. ;)

Ok reformatting the floppy and reinstalling memtest on it did the trick, it works fine now. The problem I have now is that my suspions were correct, as soon as memtest started running the error started piling up, they hit 1000 before test 2 was even finished. But I am running stock speed with relaxed timings, and I even upped the vcore to 3.0 volts. Should I RMA this ram or is there something I should be doing to fix this? I am running 2 512 MB sticks in dual channel on a AI7.

When you say "Mushkin BH5," do you mean 222 special from Mushkin? I ask because that is the RAM i have. One of my sticks of 512 went bad too, same errors in memtest as you. I RMA'd it and got a stick of their new Level 2 2-2-2 and it works fine with my other stick of 222 special. Before you RMA it though, it's worth it to switch banks and reseat it, just to make sure. But yeah, it that doesn't help, most likely it's a bad stick.

Well I'm back from testing the RAM with some interesting results. It seems both sticks work fine individually, and when in used in single channel mode. It's when they are used in dual channel mode that the errors begin to pile up. Any ideas on what I should do?

Last edited:
Back