• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Corsair PC4400 with TCCD reviewed by AnandTech

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reefa_Madness

DRAM Guru Senior
"Final Words
The Corsair TwinX1024-4400C25 was an outstanding performer in our benchmarks. This was particularly true on the AMD Athlon 64 platform, where Corsair set new records for top memory speed, top 1T Command Rate memory speed, and Top Performance. The Corsair DDR550 is clearly geared to best performance at the top of the memory charts and it succeeds in reaching that goal."

I think they liked it. For the whole review:

http://www.anandtech.com/memory/showdoc.aspx?i=2312&p=1

Not impressed... the timings suck and the top end speed is pathetic to what my friends on PQI and Gskill are getting

I'm sure that Corsair will be contacting you real soon for an endorsement. :)

Sentential said:
Not impressed... the timings suck and the top end speed is pathetic to what my friends on PQI and Gskill are getting
Your friend doesn't have the corsair. They don't have your friends' PQI or Gskill. There is no basis for a comparison.

They did test Gskill and PQI along with the Corsair though at the same time on the same hardware and by the same standards. That is valid. The Corsair outperformed both on both the A64 and P4 testbed. Perhaps we could limit the discussion to comparisons that are similiarly valid.

larva said:
Your friend doesn't have the corsair. They don't have your friends' PQI or Gskill. There is no basis for a comparison.
Well it doesnt speak well for it, when ive seen other brands clearly out peform it. This is the same website that could do 2.6 with their winchesters on default vcore and then went to say that ALL of them are like this....which is just plain false.

DeathBob, that is one funny avatar...I just hope my kids don't ever see it. They would have nightmares for the rest of their childhood.

Honestly, I don't think different PCB's make that much of a difference (a lot of the brands share that too)... These are all using the same damn chips, and most brand name companies use respectable PCB's. They can also choose to change them at any given time. I think it really comes down to how well they are binned... which is also subject to change.

This specific module reached ~300 at 1T command rate... I don't think you can really ask for too much more than that. I know some people have even gotten up 320 with some other brands, but I think that is very atypical.

Besides, I don't think that anyone buys Corsair for the price... They do have a pretty good (although a tad slow) return system. They are pretty leniant though with their RMA's. This is a good plus, since some companies give you that bs "Well it won't run at the rated speed on all motherboards" no matter what motherboard you have.

Either way, it looks like these chips will definitely do at least 275 at cas 2.5 1T command rate, which doesn't seem to be a guarentee with a lot other of modules out there. I notice a lot of people buy TCCD based modules with a PC3200 rating, then wonder why they are only reaching 240 on the FSB. So, personally, I don't think its a bad module at all. Pretty good by my standards. Could you get the same thing for a better price though? Probably.

Last edited:
Steven4563 said:
we will see how these crosairs do for me because ive just ordered my Crosair XMS PC4400 2.5-4-4-8 ram should be with me on friday

Have you any OC results on that XMS4400 Steven4563 ? I'm thinking of ordering a gig myself... it's quite a bit cheaper than the gskill product, in my neck of the woods anyways.

I'm using that memory now, i've reached 270MHz with 2.5-3-3-6 timings. It would run great but when i ran memtest86 i got errors on test 6 and 7, i had to loosen the timings to 2.5-4-4-6. I would say it's a pretty decent memory and worth the money.

I wonder if they're still using TCCD or have they switched over to TCC5? Either way this looks like solid ram. Steven4563, I look forward to your results..... could be interesting.

The Anandtech review helped me decide to buy a set. Unfortunately I'm experiencing a 'miss' with the Intel hit or miss thing. I memtested for 10 hours at 275mhz 1:1 with stock volts & timings, no errors. Fails prime95 & super pi 32m after a couple minutes. Set a 5:4 divider & completed the 32m and primed for several hours.

This may be good stuff in an AMD but I wouldn't recommend it for a Intel.

Now I need to find some different pc4400.

EDIT: Houserat, according to the Corsair support forum it is still TCCD.

I know several people have had good results with Intel and TCCD, but does it seem that on average, that TCCD looses alot when used on an Intel rig. Is it better or worse on a s478 vs lga775 based board? Any thoughts or comments?

It was all too much for me... I pulled the trigger on the XMS, it should be here in 2 days.... Hmmm will it be TCCD or TCC5 ?... any tips on removing heat spreaders ;)

Reefa_Madness said:
I know several people have had good results with Intel and TCCD, but does it seem that on average, that TCCD looses alot when used on an Intel rig. Is it better or worse on a s478 vs lga775 based board? Any thoughts or comments?
TCC5 works a great deal better on Intel ironically.

Reefa_Madness said:

Well, I LOVE my OCZ 3200 Platinum Rev2 v1.0. My cpu limits it to about 231mhz but it runs at 2.75v 2-3-3-5 + PAT. I've tested it up to 255 with the 3.4E x14 @ 2.5-3-3-6. Worked fine. That's why I decided to get TCCD again. I am really disappointed the pc4400 isn't working out.

Reefa_Madness said:

ive gotten like 285/290 with a set of 2x256 pqi tccd a while back with the 875 asus i sold you.. but it seems hynix has the edge in total speed,. and with the nforce4, tccd just really takes off.. i would guess 30 -40 mhz better than an intel rig..

Glad to hear that as I'm earmarking that board for a Dothan rig and I've got a set of those 2x256 PQIs like you.

So have you made any new platform plans...last time we spoke you were on the fence between Intel or the DFI NF4.

The 6xx Intels seem to be doing real well lately.

I decided to give a Dothan platform a shot so that I can play SuperPi and 3DMarks01 all day long. I just love those games...

Actually, I'm just intrigue by the whole notion of Mobile chips on Desktops, whether it be AXP-M, Athlon or Pentium.

Back