• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

official worst tech experience thread

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

rebelwarlock

ok guys, here's what i wanna see. give us a story of the worst tech experience you've ever had, anything from repairs to programming is fair game. perhaps i should start

on weekends i do freelance computer services (usually repairs). one weekend i was asked to fix a laptop. it had some email problems and i figured it would be no big deal. when they brought it in i was doing something else on one of my rigs so i just sat it on my lap (where else) so i could use both boxen at once. after a while i noticed that the laptop was hotter than normal but i didn't do anything about it. pretty soon however, i got a little worried about it. when i put it on the table i saw that one of my thighs was covered in blisters from the overheating laptop, some of them looked pretty bad. those burns left minor scars and a bruised ego.

LOL. Good story.

Mine comes from someone who was quite stupid with thier pc. They took the side off of it because they wanted to see how it worked. OK there. Then they went away to get something to drink. I didn't get this part of the story right, but apparently, either thier cat or dog decided that the open computer, while running, was a good place to pee. By the time the person returned, the damage was already done.

I get this call on an afternoon about 2 years ago: "Hey, can you come fix my computer?" Sure, what's wrong with it? "One of my pets peed on it. Can you fix it?" Sorry sir, but that's beyond what I can fix. Please return it to the PC manufacturer, and have them send you a replacement *click*

CrashOveride said:
You know how the testes have to be cold to produce the juice? Well research has shown that heat from laptops can effect fertility.

eep. i'll never fix anyone's lappy again

I'm just informing fellow techies of a possible health hazard. I'm pretty sure the way I did it's ok.

Besides, in disney movies, people get kicked there. PG rating canacknowledge them, I do little more AND it's in the heard of education. :sn:

lol. ok. as long as the mods don't mind, i guess. no offense to you mods... its just that i know some things are on the... iffy side... and thought this might be one of them

It's kosher under these circumstances. In fact, we even had a thread about it here.

I'll have to think about a "worst" experience though. None really jump high above the others :D
JigPu

hmmm..... gotta have a good 'worst' experience, jig. it doesn't matter if it seems worse than ours... just if it is your worst.

I have a new one.... my fiancee decided that she didn't like the way my monitor was sitting on my desk. So she moved it. During the move, it somehow disconnected one of the power cords inside my pc, turning off ALL my fans (including my HSF FAN!!!!) while it was running. I didn't notice till i walked in about 15 minutes later, and asked her what that funny smell was. As soon as i noticed, i freaked. Luckily, nothing burned up, even though she was in a heavy session of Sims 2.

hmmm, my most recent bad experience would be my parents calling me while I'm at college complaining that the printer isn't working(they all have their own computer, mine has the printer, left on with a network share) I call my brother back, he's younger 'n therefore tells me what I need to know. He's the first to tell me the computer is off(yea, makes sense that it's not printing now) so I have him turn it back on. hmmm, it freezes, he reads off a post screen. yea, thats not getting fixed over the phone, I have them wait a month till I get home so I can sit down and fix it. I come home, take a look at it, restart, turn on 'n off, but the reactions are sporadic, nothing that I trust. after a bit of research 'n just testing random things I find out the north bridge fan got clogged with dust 'n the bridge apparently fried. lost my is7-e :(

all my doing computer stuff for friends ends me up with tenbucks in my hands and a plate full of cookies. (setting up a desktop). ummm, yeah, so its rough.

Sorry for the "old guy rambling on post", but hey, I can't help myself. :D

My "worst" experience, from a head-banging point of view, was about 12-14 years ago. I was asked to format a HDD, seems the woman's(my aunt's co-worker) hubby had pooched her new system, BSOD's, couldn't connect to the internet, and so on. I lived in Larder Lake, 18 miles from Kirkland Lake, where they bought the computer, and they lived 12 miles past there. I was offered $100 and all the beer I could drink(makes a fella wonder how the computer got pooched in the first place, heh), so, colour me there.

I got my aunt to drive me out, I knew I wouldn't be driving back, I'd be looped, and got down to business. They had '98 as their OS(way before '98SE) so I asked for the disks. She gives me the CD(I brought my own format disk), which is burned, and it's written on it, in marker, Win98. I ask her where the original CD is, the one that came with the computer. She tells me that's all they gave her, an obvious rip off. So whatever, the shop robbed her, I'll use the burned copy.

...I backup all her important stuff, then format. Boot from the floppy, go to the CDROM, and hey, "setup" doesn't work. I try "install", doesn't work. I check the CD's directory, yeah, I got a recovery CD for Win98, nothing else on it. Now I'm peakin, my aunt bought her computer from the same shop, I figure she got screwed for the '98 CD too. My aunt tells me to relax, she knows the guy at the store very well, she'll run in and get the CD, says I should have a beer and relax, she'll be right back, and off she goes.

Have a beer and relax, yeah, okay. Let me tell you about this place. They lived in Tarzwell, which is the equivalent Buttfug, Idaho, only there were more weird people in Tarzwell, even though the population was like 50 people. Not counting sheep. She worked for the Gov't of Canada, he collected welfare from the Gov't of Canada, and drank beer. Nice work, if you can get it. They had this dog, a Heinz57, that was in heat, it was dripping blood everywhere, which explains why they told me to leave my boots on when I first got there. This was in March, lots of snow, I was curious at first, but figured it out as I watched welfare-boy chase the dog around the house with paper-towels, wiping up the blood. I decided to move to the couch to drink my beer while I waited, welfare-boy pipes up, tells me to wait a second while he gets a towel, the dog has bled all over the couch. I say forget it, I'll just sit in the computer chair. The drywall isn't finished, maybe they're renovating, I don't ask, but 1/2 the walls have the board up, the rest are insulation with poly over top, stapled on, impressive. I use the can, well, seems the old door was a 36" exterior door, and they bought a 32" door. The old door framing(RSO) was 38". I go to hang a rat, close the door, and look out into the livingroom, because there is a 3" gap on both sides of the door, and it hasn't been filled in with 2X4, nor had drywall on it. Nice, welfare-boy's fat wife can watch me pee. :attn:

Two beer later, my aunt returns, she tells me that buddy at the computer shop where they bought their system says that they don't get the full '98 CD, so we'll have to bring the system in to have it installed. I lose it. She has the freakin OEM manual, with the "To be sold with a new system only" sticker on it, and she doesn't have the CD, just a recovery disk. Buddy is scamming, he's selling the OEM CD's, and just shipping recovery disks with the systems, I figure it's time to rip him a new *******. I grab a couple "roadies" for myself, and get my aunt to drive me back into KL.

We get to the shop, I'm loaded for bear, I figure I got some guy my age to have a go at, he's getting a piece of my mind(what I can spare), and I'm not leaving without the Win98CD for Heidi, and another for my aunt. We get to the shop, and walk in, I see this older guy, maybe 55, talking to a customer. My aunt tells me he's the guy. Now I have to make a judgement call. Here's an older guy, business owner, talking to a customer, should I be diplomatic and call him off to the side, or should I just lay into him? I decide to use "Brundle Diplomacy". He looks over at us, says hi to my aunt, and asks who I am. I tell him I'm Goldie's nephew, then my exact question was: Who the f*** do you think you are, do you think you can keep ripping people off for the Windows that they've already paid for? Just so you can sell them again? You piece of s***!

The "potential" customer he was talking to, shoots him a dirty look. He pulls me off to the side to "discuss the issue". Man, I got the calculator goin in my head, I left home at 10:30am, got to Heidi's at 11. Should have been an hour to backup/format/install, then the rest was beer drinking time. Maybe two hours, counting travelling time, I'm making $50 an hour. Instead, it's 1:30, I haven't got '98 installed yet cause I don't have the CD, and I see my "per hour" wage slipping downwards, very quickly. I have absolutely no compassion for this unethical SOB, so he gets the full "wrath of Brundle".

As he walks into the back of the store to get me the "TWO" CD's, his "potential" customer walks over and pats me on the arm, a nice older lady, maybe 55, and then says; "Thank you." I got back to Heidi's(welfare-boy drank 6 beer while I was gone, that's less than an hour and a half), installed Win98, grabbed 4 roadies, and left with $150, Heidi dropped in an extra $50 for my trouble, and for getting them the CD that should've been shipped with the system in the first place.

I guess it wasn't all that bad, except from an aggravation point of view, but it sure got my shorts in a knot. Nothing has ever been close to pissing me off that much since. Glad I got it out of the way early. :D

Last edited:
nice one brundle, i had two pretty bad stories and i was debating which one to call my worst. i decided on the laptop one but now i feel like i should include this example of intelligence on my part too.

i was putting a new hard drive into my buddy's computer, which was under his desk. his case was a 'hot' one, which means that it's electrified whenever the computer is plugged in. at the time i didn't realize this and touched the inside of the case. it was enough of a shock to make me jump back, or try to anyway. i found that you can't jump very far back when you're under a desk. my head made contact with one of the metal legs of the desk and broke the skin. and yes, that completed the circuit. after that i sat in the corner for a while looking at my bloody fingers from the back of my head. wow i'm smart.

EDIT: i think i tend to make this story sound worse than it actually was, since someone suggested that i should have gone to the hospital when i told them this. there wasn't very much blood and the shock couldn't have killed me, it just made me feel like a complete and total idiot

Heh heh heh :D Man, I near bust a gut on that, my wife came over to read what I was laughing at, and said you were lucky you didn't **** your pants, it happens sometimes, which just made me laugh more, heh heh heh. :D

Like Monty Python's song, You Gotta Look On The Bright Side Of Life. :attn:

Ok well i whent to this PC shop with my dads old 486 (ya ya i know its sad but he doesnt even turn it on my sister playes educational games on it)
any way one day i come back from school and the pc was off (like it always is) but then i turned it on and there was a bunch or things just filling th screen going on and on.
so i take it into the pc shop (i was like 12 or somthing i didnt know much about pc's we didnt even have dail up in fact internet was like a new thing)
well the guy opend it and saidit need a new cpu and it would cost my dad like 20$

any way then we aslo find out that the fans were all dead (cpu didnt have a fan) but the psu was all old and was time for a new pc any way.

so i come back after 2 weeks and the guy sas o ya that junk i threw it out.
i was O NO!!!!!!!!!!!!
i mean my dad payed 3000$for this baby when it was bran new and it was older and out of date now but who throws it out!!
man my dad freaked
but now he has a 3.2C with 1gb or ram 2 120sata raid0 lol any way he cant turn ir on lol its for his work but he doesnt know how to use it his secertary uses it for word!!!
omg any way i dont like the guy that thew out my first oc i wanted to keep it and mount it on my wall

doing work for my high school, there are always problems. teachers calling in with "broken" computers that aren't plugged in and things like that.

so here is a list of the many annoying calls i have had.

problem: mouse doesn't work
solution: plug it in.

problem: keyboard doesn't work
solution: plug it in.

problem: no signal to the monitor
solution: plug the power cable into the monitor.

problem: printer doesn't print
solution: plug it in, maybe install drivers.

the majority of people working in the public school system should not be allowed to use computers.

ok so the worst tech story:

friend's computer all of a sudden stops working so i go to see what's wrong with it. says it can't find the operating system. i do a boot from winXP pro cd, and it boots to the cd just fine. so i decide to repair her old install. locks up instantly. tried formatting, locks up instantly.

ended up being a bad hdd.

Back