• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

POST with no graphics....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lennytiger

A friend of mine has an old Duron 800MHz system, he asked me to fix up for him. The machine has an old 7500 Radeon in the AGP port but the machine will not boot up. it gives 8 short beeps and not much else...

I've done all the basic things like strip everything down to basic components but it didn't change anything.

I put an old PCI graphics card in and tried to boot with that, no luck - same old 8 beeps. :bang head

Its a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 mobo.... if it works I'd know he'd be happy as he can play some old games on it.

Any help is totally appreciated!

Thanks
Len

lennytiger said:
A friend of mine has an old Duron 800MHz system, he asked me to fix up for him. The machine has an old 7500 Radeon in the AGP port but the machine will not boot up. it gives 8 short beeps and not much else...

I've done all the basic things like strip everything down to basic components but it didn't change anything.

I put an old PCI graphics card in and tried to boot with that, no luck - same old 8 beeps. :bang head

Its a Gigabyte GA-7IXE4 mobo.... if it works I'd know he'd be happy as he can play some old games on it.

Any help is totally appreciated!

Thanks
Len

If its an AMI BIOS then 8 beeps means a video problem. Which is strange if another Video Card has been tried. Did you try various PCI slots? Have you tried one stick of RAM at a time, in various slots? CPU seated correctly?

Wasn't the steady beeps indicitave of a memory problem, and long beep with a bunch of short beeps a video problem?

Or do I have them backwards? Boy, it's been a long time.

Slackfumasta said:
Wasn't the steady beeps indicitave of a memory problem, and long beep with a bunch of short beeps a video problem?

Or do I have them backwards? Boy, it's been a long time.

I'm not 100% sure, I thought it was video issues. Although checking the RAM cant hurt either :D.

Its deffinately video... weird thing is all AGP cards i've tried get me nowhere and I know they are all working... The RAM was working perfectly but i should check it in another machine anyway...

Is it possible that a BIOS problem might have caused this?

lennytiger said:
Its deffinately video... weird thing is all AGP cards i've tried get me nowhere and I know they are all working... The RAM was working perfectly but i should check it in another machine anyway...

Is it possible that a BIOS problem might have caused this?

Hmm... may be a dodgy BIOS right enough.

i did reflash it to the latest mobo bios, but it worked perfectly after that I reinstalled windows and everything. the graphics cards i've tried all work in other machines...

Is there a way to get this going?

Back