• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hdd activy lights

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ati

hello, my hdd activy lights dont work. when i load a program they don tlight up at all. but when i install something from teh CD drive they work. how can i fix this?

did they work prevoiously?
did you remove your mobo from your case and replace it or install a new mobo?

if you unplugged the connectors to the front for some reason i would try reversing the connectors for the leds, it doesn't affect things like the power and reset button to be connected backwards but leds don't like it...

yes it worked previously and this is an IDE mb

is it possible that they are reporting CD activity not HDD? I have to admit to not knowing how the board knows what kind of drive you are accessing. Do they light up when you insert a CD or just when you install from one?

CD-ROM drives have the activity light built into the drive. The HDD activity light is an LED on the case and requires a little 2-pin connector to be plugged into the mobo header. Maybe this connector came loose?

if you disconnected the header on the mobo for the HD LED, you may have just installed it backwards-

ill try that.. about teh cd drive... the HdD activity lights light up when im installing comething form a CD it blinks along with the led on the cd drive. but it doesnt do anything when im defragging or loading a game or somthing where it owuld other wise liight up.

How do you have the drives connected (Primary/Secondary Master/Slave)?

Swap the Primary/Secondary IDE cables on your MOBO and see if it works.
If not, try a different IDE cable.
If it still doesn't work something may be wrong with the HDD.

Back