• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for something similar to TIVO

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

deathman20

High Speed Premium Senior
I'm looking at something thats a standalone unit that can record TV programs cheaply. I don't want to mess with DVD-RW's preferably (i know theres that option), and I want to toss my VCR!!!!

I know they got the Tivo but im not going to pay a fee for something like that. And the next closest thing I've seen is a DVD-RW & Drive combos but going for like $400-500+.

Is it possible that I could set up my computer system (its about 20-30FT in cable length to the TV) to record the programs with good quality still? Or would it be better just to get some box?

Commits, suggestions, looking for something relativly inexpensive ($100 if possible).

I did this myself, although I just watch tv on my computer, not on a tv. as long as you computer is already powerful enough (that one in you sig is plenty) you can add a tv tuner. newegg has some good ones- http://www.newegg.com/app/SearchProductResult.asp?Submit=Go&DEPA=0 (I have the tv gold+). if you have s-video out you could run that to your tv if you have a long enough cord. YOu may want to get a seperate remote and software, as those come with an ir remote and decent (but not that great) software. There are good ones here- http://www.snapstream.com/ . With beyond tv it gets quite close to the quality of tivo, ihmo.

Actually my rig would be a...

AMD 2600+
1gig of PC3200 (sitting on 256 currently til I get my ram in)
160&80gig HDD
9600Pro

Its not OC'ed at all yet, just got a new heatsink and such so Im really thinking about turning it up. Then again I really don't need to since I just surf web, IM, download on this rig.

That idea sounds intresting for a TV tuner. And everything is then run off the computer and fed back to the TV for viewing?? If so I think I'm sold on that idea when I get some money. I just have about 40-50' I have to run cable back and forth between the outlet and back to my box. No cable hookup near my computer :(

I'm guessing that will degrade quality runnign that much cable. Any suggestions? It would run about from the hookup, about 14' down a wall and accoss a 3.5' doorway then hook up to my computer not far from it. And would have to run back to the TV which is in the same area as the hookup.

Not really related to a PC but if you have Cox Communications you can get thier version of TIVO for a lot less than getting TIVO.
You also get a discount for having digital internet, phone, digital TV etc on top of it.
Might want to ask your local peeps what they have if you don't have COX

Just another option.

Oh can you record like 2 programs at 1 time? It would be nice to have that feature every once and a while. Or would it take 2 capture cards for that to work, or just that software that you mentioned (which does sound great).

The VTech said:
Not really related to a PC but if you have Cox Communications you can get thier version of TIVO for a lot less than getting TIVO.
You also get a discount for having digital internet, phone, digital TV etc on top of it.
Might want to ask your local peeps what they have if you don't have COX

Just another option.

Closest I got for that option is a $10 month for the DVR :( At least thats all I'm getting out of Charter Communications help line. I checked into that option already.

Most cable companies (Cox, Comcast, Charter) offer a DVR for 9.95 a month. Personally I have a Tivo. It's well worth the 12.95 a month I pay for it so much so that I'm considering on paying the Lifetime subscription. Yeah you can do it on your computer, and the Tivo only has one tuner, but the software is so much more effective, user friendly, and intuitive then just about any other option. When Comcast releases thier DVR with the dual tuners I may get one to try it, but I dont have high hopes that it will replace my Tivo. As to the computer solution, my thinking is YMMV... I've never seen decent quality video coming out of a video card to a TV.

that software does allow recording of 2 (or more) shows at once, but you have to have >1 capture card, and they have to have built in encoders- those cards I showed you wont work. They have a list of the ones that will work on the snapstream website, somewhere. The svideo cable length may degrade image quality over that length, but I couldn't say for sure. You could always move your computer. ;)

If you don't move your computer, make sure the remote is rf, not ir (the one that comes with the compro cards is ir, the firefly is rf, I think. Also, there may be some wireless options to transmit the video, in fact I think beyond tv has some of that built in. But that would require more $$$$$$

Krieger said:
Most cable companies (Cox, Comcast, Charter) offer a DVR for 9.95 a month. Personally I have a Tivo. It's well worth the 12.95 a month I pay for it so much so that I'm considering on paying the Lifetime subscription. Yeah you can do it on your computer, and the Tivo only has one tuner, but the software is so much more effective, user friendly, and intuitive then just about any other option. When Comcast releases thier DVR with the dual tuners I may get one to try it, but I dont have high hopes that it will replace my Tivo. As to the computer solution, my thinking is YMMV... I've never seen decent quality video coming out of a video card to a TV.
I have the Time Warner DVR and its great, I got an HDTV and upgraded to the HD-DVR, pretty cool recording in HD. I looked at the TIVO's but I couldnt find an HD one, do they make them or are they going to?

Not thinking after doing a search looking at stores, I guess this also belongs in the Video section also. I just started a thread there more aimed at the video card aspect. If you'd like to follow or help out heres the link

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=357507

Thanks for the input so far.

I haven't seen anything more capable than a TiVo. The only reason I can see to go elsewhere is if you plan on archiving what you record.

I just finished setting up an HTPC for the exact same purpose. If you already have a pretty decent rig, all you need is to add a TV capture card, and some PVR software if you like. Personally, I recommend the Hauppauge WinTV PVR 250 or 350 for the capture card (comes with a remote). I can't tell the difference in quality when I'm watching TV on it versus a real TV. If you want a graphical front end like TiVo (with live TV guide and ability to schedule recordings) check out BeyondTV or Sage TV. There's also a free one called MythTV for Linux, if you're so inclined. It doesn't cost much up front, and you won't have to pay any monthly subscription fees. Plus, if you have a DVD burner, you can burn shows you want to keep to DVD so they don't take up space on your HD.

X1g

I used to have an ati card, it was the really cheap one. The video quality was much lower than my current compro card, and the compro was only about $20 more.

Well last night I picked up a PVR-150 (its the 250's replacement w/ more options and cheaper) and a MediaMVP (to pump the video back ot the TV so I can watch it).

Gotta say, im really impressed with the quality, and don't regreat it at all. Besides no monthly fee's for TIVO crap :). Anyways works good, high quality (DVD quality recording at) and was sooo easy to setup. Just plug, install, update, play and it was working.

I was trying to use a 3rd party software to give me more options on my MediaMVP unit (basically making it a True TIVO features) and it was giving me issues like crashing the app after running a video file. Really sucked I really liked the features in that program, and hopfully it is just my ram issue with my computer. Had things like live TV (which recorded a vid file when watching it if u wanted to rewind or pause), TV Guide feature (to setup a recording schedule), Recording items (checks to see whats qued up for recording), Delete Files (if u wanted to delete something u could) confiliction of recordings (sees if you got 2 shows suppose to be recorded at the same time and warns you). Theres some other featuers like really nice looking interface and such and adding plugin's to add more features (i was playing solitare on my couch hehe).

Going to look around the forums @ gbpvr.com if anyone of you are intrested in the same features out of a free software. I'm also lookin at the BeyondTV software also, is there some sort of free trial I could use somewhere??

Lucky! When I built my HTPC, Hauppauge didn't have the 150 yet - I had to get the 250 :)

I believe that the manufacturers of both BeyondTV and Sage TV offer free trial downloads. Google them and check out their websites. You might also want to check www.htpcnews.com for product reviews and guides. They also have a decent forums section too.

X1g

Back