• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Possible hardware problem, PC shutting down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

start

I put this in the hardware section but it may be a software problem.

My computer keeps randomly shutting down. Not a reboot, not one of those RPC reboot blaster worm things, it just turns itself off.

Having checked the Windows XP (sp2) event viewer error logs, I have noticed that every time it shuts itself down, the last thing is an error as follows:

Source: cdrom
Event: 15
The device, \Device\CdRom1, is not ready for access yet.

It seems to have happend three times that I can tell from the logs, two happend to me and a third was someone else on my computer, but I'm sure it's the same thing as I can tell from the logs that it was turned back on a few minutes later.

The first time it happend to me, I was watching a DVD (and you may think it must be a fault with the DVD burner perhaps), however it happend again today when I simply had my pc locked, doing nothing atall, and not even a DVD in the drive. Which leads me to believe it might be something else.

Anyone have any ideas? Hardware? Software? How do I find out which drive \Device\CdRom1 is? I have only 1 physical CD/DVD drive but I have 2 virtual drives, so perhaps it could be one of those...

Hmm. Ill try the dust thing, as my pc is really dusty.

With regards to the OC, I'd be quite surprised if it were that as I've had it like this for about a year.

Infact, my FSB is at 178mhz and has been for a while. I had some (ram?) issues a while back and haven't updated my sig. I thought maybe it could be motherboard issues, but then again 178mhz isn't exactly blisteringly fast for an NF7-S 2.

Any other ideas? and is it possible to find out which drive in windows \Device\CdRom1, is?

cheers

Ok, further odd things have begun to happen.

I tried to run a game that required a CD to be in, and got about 40 error event 7's (The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.)

However, putting the CD in, the game worked fine.

Now, EVERY 10 minutes since I did that, regardless of having closed all my programs, taken the CD out, and not doing a thing, I get 5 new errors:

The device, \Device\CdRom1, has a bad block.

about a second apart. Exactly every 10 minutes, at 51 seconds to 54 seconds past the minute, I get these errors.

This is really wierd, but there must be some relevance, what is the computer doing every 10 minutes? Is there some routine check the computer does to see if everything is still working fine? :S

Someone must know hopefully

cheers

note: I've tried burning a CD with the drive and it worked fine, 48x. Also I copied the contents of another CD onto the harddrive and that worked fine too. So the drive does actually work :S

CDRom 1 refers to your actual player, remove it in device manager, reboot and see if Windows will reload the device.
Also check your cables for it as they may have come loose etc

Back