• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! I accidentally deleted my digital camera images from my CF card.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

richklein

Hi,

I was looking at some pictures on my digital camera on my PC. WinXP adds the camera as another drive on my pc (when the camera is connected via usb & turned on). I accidentally deleted the photos off the camera (IE CF card). What program can I use to recover the photos/files on the card?

Thanks,
Rich

Bender said:
I belive they still have a trial version you download.
Yep....but:

Identifies and allows you to view the deleted files and corrupted documents that are recoverable with a full edition of EasyRecovery Professional, while offering the Word and Zip repair component that allows you to recover and repair deleted or corrupt Word and Zip files!

Just downloaded and installed Smart Recovery 4.5.......

It seems to work fine, it even recovered some old pictures.

ThePerfectCore said:
If it's a solid state media, you won't be getting those pictures back.

Actually yes he will unless the data was written over. When you delete files off of any drive, including solid state drives, all that happens is the referances to the files are removed. The data is still there.

If you write over the data on flash media I belive it is completely unrecoverable. If you write over data on a hard drive the data can be recovered but I dont belive any commercial software can recover it. It is standard practice for sensitive data to be over written 7 times because any fewer and there are recover possibilities.

Bender said:
Actually yes he will unless the data was written over. When you delete files off of any drive, including solid state drives, all that happens is the referances to the files are removed. The data is still there.

If you write over the data on flash media I belive it is completely unrecoverable. If you write over data on a hard drive the data can be recovered but I dont belive any commercial software can recover it. It is standard practice for sensitive data to be over written 7 times because any fewer and there are recover possibilities.

I skimmed the thread and misunderstood. I thought he had overwritten the files with something else. 'Course in that case he wouldn't be getting them back, be it flash or anything else...

Bender said:

I think that after a HD has beem read from (non software) it can not be used again. I saw on CSI they took the plates out and a laser scanned it at 500 microns a second!

I dont have a CF card reader. I just click on my camera icon in "my computer". Do I need a card reader?

Krieger said:
richklein you might want to get one anyway, I've found that the pictures download about 30x faster with the reader than through the camera I have.
I second that. Card readers are like $10 and WELL worth it! You can also use it as a portable flash drive for other regular files and stuff too! :beer:
Not only does it transfer a little faster, it is easier than fussing with the cables and it won't run your batteries down with the camera on while you transfer the pics. And you can take the card reader to other computers a lot easier than you can your whole camera.
Card reader all the way man!

Back