• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"A Quick 'n Dirty Guide to Tweaking PCI Register Settings From BIOS"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Would the Intel 440BX chipset be considered modern?

I have an Intel 440BX, C1 revision chipset.

Last edited:
There's no such thing as an Intel 440.

There are things like the 440FX, 440BX, 440LX, 440GX, 440ZX, etc.

Which one do you have?

nicspits said:
it's not really relevent with modern chipsets

yeah they really gotta start marking those old azz articles saying that its way outdated

440bx chipset, I haven't even heard of that one, though i'm not much of an intel guy. But yeah, most of that stuff was because win95,98(and variants) couldn't even manage different components correctly and conflicts were common. Win2k and on have that pretty much beaten out.

Ascii2 said:
This thread is in response to article:
http://www.overclockers.com/tips905/

I am not sure what the process described in the article is meant to acomplish. If someone knows please state what is meant to be acomplished.
The point (in this specific case) was to enable some chipset settings that the that the bios did not provide access to (in this case, that included bank interleveing). To do this, he wrote some assembly language code to modify the right chipset registers to enable his settings, assembled it and used a program to convert it into an option rom that could be included in his bios. Then, he used another piece of software to put it into a bios for his board and flashed it. Voils, he changed some register settings and got a performance improvement from his ram.

edit: remember, this code is chipset specific, and most overclocking boards today allow you to modify these settings yourself.

Back