• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Computer Not Detecting CD Rom Drives

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jamo

What could be a reason your computer would just all together stop detecting both your DVD Rom Drive and CD-RW burner drive? They're not showing up in My Computer, and device manager has a yellow exclamation next to them and is saying "This device is not working properly because Windows cannot load the drivers required for this device. (Code 31)."

Now, this problem is extra strange because my drives have always worked, and i don't even know exactly what triggered this problem. I'm pretty sure they worked about 2 weeks ago, cause my sis was playing a game using them. But I go put a disk in today, and apparently they're just not being detected. I checked inside my computer, they're both plugged in, and they're both running off the same adi cable. What could trigger such madness? Any thoughts and thanks a lot.

I've had much crazier problems than this, and I'm sure working together we can figure it out. :)

Hmmmm....try uninstalling and reinstalling the drivers...it's possible the drivers got corrupted...See if they're showing up properly when you POST.

Thanks for the help.

Hmm, well I clicked uninstall on both of them from the "device manager." I in turn restarted my computer and upon entering windows, it said it detected new hardware and installed it. It then told me to restart once more, but sorry to say that didn't alleviate the problem. Both devices are still showing up with an exclamation mark, and are not showing up in "my computer." Gosh.

go to this forum link and use the registry modification there...I had the exact same problem and it totally fixed it...but I think they missed a step...I had to right click on my dvd drive in device manager and uninstall it after fixing the registry and then I scanned for hardware changes and presto! it worked

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/35761/
hope this helps
Mark

Back