• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Resetting PC without reset button?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Chowyuntaba

Registered
Anyone know of different ways to reset a PC without having to physically press the reset button?

eg. reseting via an I/O port like serial or USB.

You could hit the power button (twice). Better yet, have (if you do not already have any) children, and have them do menial (resetting PCs) tasks for you. :)

start. shutdown. restart...... OR

unplug it, replug it back it and press start.... OR!

press and hold start button until it shuts down the press it again

hey, all those things restart it :rolleyes:

wire the reset header on the motherboard to the inside of a usb port so that when you plug something in, it causes a reset?

lol, very creative. the children idea kinda puts me waaaaay over budget!!!

here is the more in depth thing I would like to do through this reset thing. I have a bunch of computers, somehow I will be connecting them so that I can reset each and every one of them without physically pressing the switch on all of them.

was thinking of some control logic to doing the switching, but thats another problem in itself. what I was proposing of doing was connecting this control logic to the reset headers of each of the mobos... but am looking for different alternatives and ideas from you guys.

what do ya guys think?

Are you looking for a hardware or software soln?
Reset of all at once? :eek:
There are some freeware reset proggies to use.
I use remotesrl with great success on my network. It can scan the home network and list the machines to work with.
There is another one called NTPower I think that can doo much the same thing.

Learn some C programming, since parallel port commands are pretty easy, make the program send out a short high signal to trip a mosfet, or gate connected to the reset pins.
All you'd need to do is run your program, enter a value for the specific computer to restart and voila, beep.

For my htpc I have the power button on my RF remote set as the shutdown command function. I no longer have to get up to turn that machine off. It could easily be set as reset. I use an X10 6-in-1 remote and PC Remote Control

You could also wire all of their reset switches together.

Last edited:
The physical reset switch operates by shorting the two pins for reset on your mobo. As long as the two pins are shorted, it's the same as holding in the switch. Unshort the wires again and you've just removed your finger from the switch. Shouldn't be too hard to rig up a hardware solution that just shorts them all at once :D

JigPu

JigPu said:
The physical reset switch operates by shorting the two pins for reset on your mobo. As long as the two pins are shorted, it's the same as holding in the switch.
JigPu

Would a bucket of water be helpful in this?

Why not just hook up all of the machines to the same powerstrip and then set them in bios to resume on power failure. That way you could just turn off the power strip and turn it back on and all the computers would restart. It wouldn't be clean, but it would work. A much cleaner way would be to have something like the psshutdown tool on all of the machines and write a batch file to shut them all down.
You can get psshutdown at www.sysinternals.com they have a lot of cool, free little tools.

Back