• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How do i reconnect a cut off "energy thread" on my mobo? (sorry 4 bad english)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tazon

How do i reconnect a cut off "energy thread" on my mobo? (sorry 4 bad english)

How are they called anyways, the lines underneath a mobo through which the energy runs?
this is the story: one day i put my mobo in a new case, i realized i had no right channel audio, after checking all obvious things and going crazy i took out the mobo and realized i had made a small scratch on the back of the mobo, scratching off one of the three lines that goes into the "audio out box", a little metal box where the three audio out jacks are.
any ideas on how to "repair" the broken line??

emilio

Traces.

You need a conductive pen, like this.
Just put a dot of conductive paint on the scratch, and when it dries, it will conduct again. You can try to find one locally now that you know what it's called.

If it's a very small scratch, you could try using the pencil trick like we used to do when unlocking an old AMD processor. Use a very sharp pencil to draw across the scratch a couple of times until the gap is filled with black pencil lead (conductive graphite).

With either repair, a piece of celophane (clear) tape across the repair will protect it.

Hope you get it working!

thanks for the swift reply. i am more comfortable with a pencil but isn't graphite supposed to wear off?

Ii will usually wear out if you dont have something covering the graphite. Like Diggrr said, just use a piece of clear tape and apply it over the graphite. That small step will allow the graphite connection to last much longer.

Back