• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How can I tell if a cap is bi-polar?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Cyrix_2k

On my modified CMOY (headphone amp) with the TLE2426IP rail splitter, I used a 1uf cap to connect the noise reduction pin to the positive rail. That cap is supposed to be bi-polar... However, I used an unknown cap my friend gave me. It's silver and has the markings VE150 on it... I didn't see any +/- markings on it. What makes me question whether it's bi-polar is that I get "Clicking" in my music when listening at higher volumes on some crappy sony V150's, although it's only really noticable on my Personal CD Player.

If its bi-polar it wont have any marks to show polarisation on it, ie no +/-, or black stripe down one side, and both the legs will be the same length. If its polarised, the negative leg will be longer than the positive, and it will be marked on the body of the cap. Plus if it was polarised and youd fitted it the wrong way, it would probably have exploded by now.

_slh_ said:
If its bi-polar it wont have any marks to show polarisation on it, ie no +/-, or black stripe down one side, and both the legs will be the same length. If its polarised, the negative leg will be longer than the positive, and it will be marked on the body of the cap. Plus if it was polarised and youd fitted it the wrong way, it would probably have exploded by now.
Oh ok. Thanks. I think I fixed the clicking too... I left out two power supply caps. oops.

SK8 said:
Usualy if something or someone is bipolar they are nice one second then the next they are angry....
haha, im sure that's the type of answer he was looking for ;)
(i was gonna say the same thing anyway)

Already been said, but in general on the capacitor it will indictate with either some kind of marking of the cathode (sometimes a Triangle with a line a the end perpendicular to the sharp end of the triangle) or with a longer end for the cathode.

Shape of the capacitor also indicates. The round yellow ones rarely are polar, the cyllinder ones are usually.

Back