• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ok something is toast

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rumrunner

I was in the BIOS tightning up my ram latencies, but I guess I had overdone it a little when the pc wouldnt load windows. I just got the black screen. So I figured OK, I'll just loosen them back up and restart.

Well when I restart, my memory test at the POST does something really wierd. It goes past 512mb, and keeps on rolling to 5 gb, then, it starts over again and again until I escape the memory test.

Then once again I get the black screen and no windows. It wouldn't even run disk check. So I figured OK just a bad crash, and I pulled the ol XP home outta the jewel case and boot to it for a complete reinstall.

The SETUP goes as far as the screen where it says WINDOWS IS STARTING or whatever, then, it just stops loading. So I figure OK, bad disk, and I pull out the grandfather copy out of my drawer and plop it in to my cdrom and try again. Then once again, a freeze at the startup.

So then I figure OK, it looks like I fried my ram considering the wierd memory test and the systems inabiltity to load the setup. I then grab another stick of RAM and try it in all three slots and no help.

I also tried another hard drive and psu..

So now I'm thinking it might be the memory controller or the cpu causing the problem. But I really have no idea. !HELP!

BTW: THIS DID NOT HAPPEN TO THE SYSTEM IN MY SIG.

Here is the system info:

AMD 2400 XP
SOYO SYkt 400 ULTRA
512 kingston value
60 gb WD IDE
failsafe defaults

If booting into Windows is your problem, here's a little risky trick (very bad idea if your data isn't backed up) I've employed in the past out of sheer desperation (didn't have a CDR):-

Let windows boot up and halfway through the process kill the power switch.
Next time around, Windows would say it failed to load up properly etc...
Go into safe mode and fix it by doing a system restore.

A better way would be to pop in the XP cd and do a repair.

Back