• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

No way...No one's luck is THIS bad...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

LoneWolf121188

So first I kill my generic 478 OEM mobo with a 33MHz FSB OC. Then I somehow killed my new A8N-SLI by connecting the power connecter to the floppy wrong (yes, the floppy killed just the mobo, nothing else). Now my brand new Asus P4GE-MX just died. I was using the PSU from my Aspire X-Navigator case (the one I was using when my A8N-SLI died), and everything was working fine. I was in windows doing some damage assesment from the A8N-SLI crash (I was watching some movies in Windows Media Player to check for courruption) and it just froze. I killed the power, then turned it back on. the fans start spinning but nothing shows up on the screen. The status light on the monitor cycles between orange and green. I turned it off, unplugged, and tried a different PSU. same deal. the monitor thing with the status light is the same thing that happened with my other 2 mobos. I had the temp alarm set to 70C, and I didn't get an alarm (I did once before, so I know it's working). No vocal POST codes, no beeps.

WTF?!?! no one kills 3 mobos in a row, no one. Am I missing something basic about computer building here?

#1 Buy a static guard
#2 Buy sledge hammer
#3 Buy new PSU
#4 Beat PSU repeadly and burn the ashes.

Im gonna agree with IMOG, sounds like a PSU issue to me. Either this or static. Or sadly user error :-/

You don't wear socks and constantly shuffle your feet on carpet while you're working on your PC, do you?

X1g

I do have a static strap, but the aligator connecter thing has a hard time staying on the case...I do have carpet in the area that I'm working in, but I keep myself grounded to the case as much as I can.

What would cause windows (xp, btw) to just freeze up like that? would the PSU really do that? I checked the voltage on the proc during that same session of windows w/ cpu-z and it was hovering just under 1.7, i belive. Could the PSU, which is 500w, 34a @ 12v, just be delivering too much power to the mobo? could something have been messed up in the PSU when the 12v line on the PSU touched the ground pin on the floppy? I used this PSU with my A8N-SLI shortly before I fried it (that still doesn't make sence to me; everything was OK but the mobo), and I ran memtest for 24 hours, over 80 cycles, and everything was working great.

Windows will definetly freeze if some hardware isn't getting good power. When you looked at the voltage, it might have been fine, but that could mean that it just wasn't flaking out at that moment.

That said, static damage is just as likely. Especially if its cold (wintery) where you are.

Your PSU should be plugged in when you ground yourself.
Don't turn it on though!

How did you determine that the A8N died? And how did you narrow it down to the reverse connection on the FDD? Power pins fit only one way so its a nobrainer. There is no way one could reverse the connections without breaking/bending a few pins.
(I'm gonna test this out on the Pentium Pro 133MHz waiting to be junked at school).

You could post some pics and maybe somebody would find someting else amiss.

Good Luck!

You can put the power connector in upside down. I just tried it on an old ****ty floppy drive that I trashed.

With the full sized four pin molex's its hard or impossible to do it backwards, though I still have seen people say they have done it. The floppy connector and mobo headers are a different story - those can easily be connected backwards, though connecting them the right way is easier and you don't have to force anything. The only time I know of when you have to force something inside a computer, is when you are attaching a heatsink to the socket lugs... Any other time, if you have to force it you are doing something wrong.

Super Nade said:
How did you determine that the A8N died? And how did you narrow it down to the reverse connection on the FDD? Power pins fit only one way so its a nobrainer. There is no way one could reverse the connections without breaking/bending a few pins.
(I'm gonna test this out on the Pentium Pro 133MHz waiting to be junked at school).

I tried a bunch of different hardware (including PSUs) that I knew worked, and it would never boot (though I didn't try a CPU, as I dont have a spare 939...I'm just hoping that alright...The board could still be RMAd, so I did, but the CPU couldn't). And its very easy actually on the floppys to mess up the power connector. Its the mini 4 pin connecter that has no outer caseing like the ATX ones do.

Doesn't the MoBo have an OVP tailored to protect it from such mishaps?
As MOG said, if you are using excessive force there is something amiss.

Good Luck with your new rig!

Sentential said:
#1 Buy a static guard
#2 Buy sledge hammer
#3 Buy new PSU
#4 Beat PSU repeadly and burn the ashes.

Im gonna agree with IMOG, sounds like a PSU issue to me. Either this or static. Or sadly user error :-/

OH MAN THAT IS AWESOME me gets up off the ground...

seriously man, invest in a really good psu, you will never look back... im kinda partial to the enermax noisetakers, but to each his own. unfortunately with psu's you get what you pay for...

Elwood1984 said:
seriously man, invest in a really good psu, you will never look back... im kinda partial to the enermax noisetakers, but to each his own. unfortunately with psu's you get what you pay for...

Hey, the case was $160, its gotta come with a good PSU for that.

@Super Nade: I wish it did....actually, I'm not sure. Does anyone know the answer to that?

LoneWolf121188 said:
Hey, the case was $160, its gotta come with a good PSU for that.

Bad assumption - possible, but there is no guarantee like this. What PSU is this? There should be a sticker with the brand and model number. To me, the PSU looks more glitz than power.

I had a PSU do that once. Took out some generic Gigabit board, my first NF7, a DVD-ROM, and an 80 GB HD before I realized it wasn't the parts from Newegg that were the problem....
I took a oxygen torch to it.

I don't know how worst your luck is, but this happened to me just in the past week. Lend my car to my girlfriend on Wednesday, and she hit a truck, so my car is gone. Borrow my sister brand new toyota corolla last night, and it slid on ice, so the tires and rims are mess up. And this morning, while walking to work, a large piece of ice came down from a 30 story high building and almost hit my head. Luckily I saw it and dodge, but that ice did some serious damages. Breaking cars windshield and all. Now I don't know how worst thing can get, and my 21st birthday is next week.

Total damage, $8000, and almost my life, in one week.

Back