• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

AMD 64 or Pentium 4, and video card

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Capper

I'm not sure whether to go AMD 64 or Pentium 4. They both seem appealing. The P4 with higher clock speeds and HT, where as the AMD 64 is the new thing out and has many soon to come advantages. I would be playing a good amount of games. Please give me your thoughts on that. Now as for the video card, i dont want to pay $400 for the ATI X800 Pro, so its between the ATI X700 Pro and the nvidia 6600 GT. I havent been able to find the 6600 GT in 256mb, so the X700 Pro looks better in that respect. They seem really comparable. What is the best of the two cards? Thanks in advance

you've got to stop looking at the clock speed, AMD cpus all have a "PR" number attached which states the equivalent model of P4 (celeron for semprons). my understanding of the situation is AMD cpus are better performers when it comes to gaming.

as for the video cards; AMD doesn't support pcie (yet, looks as if nForce4 might have it), anyway at this stage the difference between AGP 8X and pcie 16X is negligible.

i say go AMD and 6600GT, but thats just my opinion

Back