• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Will this set up work for my 1st budget/built computer?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Christopher502

I'm building a budget gaming computer so I dont have to drive the 6 miles to play half life 2 at my friends house and so I can go to lan parties. I JUST got my 500 dollars that I have been working for on my desk right now.

Anyways I need to know if I have EVERYTHING so I could just boot up and go. I have 2 questions though.

Can I use the maxtor 160 I am currently using for this computer, and put it in my new one (just wipe it out and reinstall with the windows xp cd in the new one)? The reason I ask is because back in my days of xbox hacking, you needed to unlock the hard drive to be able to use it in other machines. I dont want any headaches. (I want to save myself 130.00)

Will the H/T proccesor still work with the non H/T mobo?

SPECS:

POWMAX Black/Silver Mid Tower ATX Case with 400W Power Supply, Side Window & handle, Model "CP0327PL-4"

SONY 52X CD-ROM, Model CDU5212

WINTEC AMPO 184-pin 256MB DDR PC-3200 (x2 for 512 MB)

Asrock "P4 Combo" i848P Chipset Motherboard For Intel Socket 478/LGA 775 CPU

Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail (going to be over clocked to run at 3 Ghz)

Microsoft Windows XP HOME Edition With Service Pack 2 -OEM

nVIDIA GeForce FX 5200 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI

Halflife 2, Doom 3, Quake 3, GTA 3 and Vice City, and Battlefied

I have the mouse, keyboard, screen, speakers, and hopefully the hard drive that will work with no problems for this new machine.

Like I said this is just for starters. If it dont work that 15% restocking fee is really going to bite me and cause my mom to literally kill me (damn menapause)

Last edited:
Please please please don't get a FX5200. Especially PCI. You can do so much better with a Ti4600. And no, a non HT motherboard will not work with a HT processor. Either get a motherboard that supports hyperthreading, or just get a non HT processor(the general concensus is that HT really only shines if you do a bunch of multitasking, but don't quote me on that).

pow max makes terrible cases with sharp edges and the power supplies also are horrible. youre much better off buying a new power supply instead of one bundled with a case

Alright. Thanks for 1 less headache. I switched now and I want to get an Intel "BOXD915GAVL" 915G Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU. Now since this has PCI express, will this work with the Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 520 2.8 HT processor or does the processor need some sort of PCI express? I realized pci express came out not too long ago, thats why its new to me. Will a regular PCI card work with PCI E without any problems? And what would be better....and AGP 8x graphics card with 256 mb of memory or a PCI E video card with 256 mb of memory?

I'm looking at either a nVIDIA GeForce FX5500 Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-bit, DVI/TV Out, 8X AGP, or a ATI RADEON X600 PRO Video Card, 256MB DDR, 128-Bit, DVI/TV-Out, PCI Express, Model "589L"

Last edited:
do NOT settle for anything in the geforce fx family. honestly, the lowest id settle for is is the geforce 6600gt pci express, or the x700 pro pci express, which is a little less than 200.

if you cant afford this, id highly recommend that you get an a64 s754 mobo with an a64 2800+ processor. its much cheaper, and personally i think its a lot more reasonable. with this, a 6600gt agp would be nice.

With that intel board, you have to get a pci-e vid card. AGP will not work. So you have no choice but to get the x600. You're motherboard likely has a couple of pci-e 1x ports. You can't put regular pci cards in there because 1, its a different interface, and 2, it wouldnt fit anyways. You will have regular pci for your sound card, etc. PCI-e does not involve your processor. you can have it with or without HT If you have any questions, feel free to add me to your aim: monkey7625

i agree. If you are on a budget (and anyone, for that matter, I think) definately go amd, not intel. It would be great to spring for an athlon64, but even if you can't go that way, the xp series is still great and much cheaper. An agp video card will not work in a pci express mobo, as it doesn't have agp. you need that x600 (or other pci express card such as a standard nvidia 6600/6600gt). The regular pci card will also not work, but there are pci slots on that mobo, so you could get it working, but don't go that route. You will be much happier with am agp/pci express card. The best Bang-for-the-buck right now is probably either a 6600gt pci express or agp- ~$200-230 each. other wise, 6800nu's are not much more and can possibly be unlocked to get much of the performance of a gt or ultra, but his is not garunteed.

edit:Woo HOOOOOO 3 stars!

Last edited:
Don't get the Intel mobo. You can't O/C it. Ok, you need to make up your mind first about whether you want an AGP or PCI-E vid card. Forget the old PCI vid cards. If you want AGP and LGA775 CPU, then look at the Abit AS8. If you want PCI-E (will be more futureproof) and LGA775 CPU and regular DDR RAM, then look at the Abit AG8.

i would recommend getting an nforce4 mobo at best, but since youre on a budget, id get an athlonxp or a64

Back