• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaking Voltage in case

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

zexmarquies01

Ok, my computer ( in sig ) is running perfectly fine. nothing is wrong really. stable, and fast.

BUT....sometimes i do notice voltage is leaking into the case. i'd touch the case and i can feel electricity in my finger.

whats even MORE weird is that, i have the SI-97. once i touched the heat-pipes and i felt voltage!!! and i KNOW i felt it, been in electronics class, been zapped ALOT of times, i know what it is.

I don't see how my SI-97 could be being fed power like that. it doesn't touch the case at all, or any other metal. the clip, clips onto the plastic tabs. the only thing it touches is the die of the Processor.

i'm not sure whats causing this. but i'm afraid of permanent damage to any or all of my components. i don't have the money to replace all this stuff either.

i don't feel it all the time though. only sometimes. at the moment, i don't feel anything. but other days, i can feel it.

anyone have any ideas of what it might be?

Is your computer plugged into a grounded outlet? Is the outlet wired correctly?

good question actually.

because my room actually had no outlets in it originally. my dad had to wire in a couple outlets from the fuse box, into my room.

i'll find that out real quick, and ask him.

Are you sure its not static electricity? Get a DMM and find out the voltage from the case to the power supply ground, then to the actual hard ground.

sounds like there is no ground at the outlet or that the Nuetral and hot are backwards.

You can buy a outlet tester for $10.00 to find out for sure. You need to find out because that is very unsafe.

Back