• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Question about Dual 2.5 G5

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

falltime

Registered
I own a PC for gaming and almost everything else.
I own a Mac for video editing.

Not being terribly familiar with the intricacies of SMP I had a quck question about Apples recent increase in the FSB in its flagship model (Dual 2.5 G5) from 1GHz to 1.25GHz.

They kept the memory at PC3200 (the same as their lower-end G5 models) so my initial reaction to the increase was that it was just a marketting ploy to make people think they were getting additional memory bandwidth, but which of course made no difference.

Then someone mentioned the increase would improve the speed at which the two processors "communicated."

So I'm just trying to get a better understanding of SMP and its dependency on the FSB, and whether or not Apples 250MHz increase actually does offer somewhat of a performance enhancement.

Thanks for your time guys.

I'm not a 100% sure of how the G5s work, but my interpretation would be that the FSB would be the CPUs communication with the chipset, and that then would communicate with RAM and devices. So I suppose the extra bandwidth could be used.

Or it may be possible that was the easiest way to ramp the speed of the G5s?

Back