• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

help! my laptop isnt booting up!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elitebear4

recently, my laptop has been experiencing strange issues with booting up properly. the laptop loads up, but as soon as my windows wallpaper is set up, nothing else loads up. the mouse cursor is active, but i cant do anything. someone help me!

would running safe mode work? unfortunately, i dont know how to do this.. what do i press?

I believe you need to press <F8> just after the opening Bios screen clears to get into safe mode. I usually just start tapping it once the memory check has completed, just so I don't miss it. :D

Have you deleted any programs recently? It almost sounds as though a program that is set to start with windows is looking for a file that isn't there, so it just hangs until the time-out limit is reached. (I'll need to go look for where to change that setting) If the time-out setting is at 2 minutes, (which really seems like forever in today's computers) it might just be that you're restarting before the offending program gives up hunting for the file. Have you tried to start it, then just walk away for five minutes and then come back and see how it's doing?

Hope that gives you a place to start.

DWolf:cool:

well ive tried leaving it on for a while and nothing seems to be happening. safe mode doesnt work either. i guess ill try to sell this laptop

If you have nothing critical on the HD and you have the system disk, why not boot from the system disk, reformat the HD and load the system from scratch. Then if that doesn't work, you know it's a hardware issue and can try and sell the laptop.

If you don't have the system disk anymore, you can either download and burn a Linux system disk (I would suggest Yoper) or, I've heard rumors that there are places on the web that offer help in obtaining a Windows system disk.

DWolf:cool:

When you get the blank screen try doing Ctrl-Alt-Delete once to get the task manager? And manually start explorer.exe.

There is always flatten and reinstall I guess... :eek:

EDIT: Beaten cos I had several tabs open :D

Back