• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My Next Upgrade?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fernis

I have about $300 to spend on my next upgrade. What do you think is the weakest link in my system?

I use the system primarily to Play Everquest several hours a day and to use a couple Macromedia products such as Dreamweaver and Fireworks.

My system is listed in my signature.

Last edited:
You think I need to go to 2GB of memory or just get faster memory?

I was also questioning if I needed to get a stronger power supply.

If everything is running smoothly, you don't need a new PSU.

The only upgrade I can see that you might make is more memory (if you really need it). Otherwise, save that chunk of change for something else.

I guess if you have to put something in a computer case, how about watercooling?

was gnona say hah! video card!....nope got that, check
this guy needs a 20.1" LCD.....hmmm check....
klipsch promedias, he can't have that too....check
grrr.....well lets revists that dell 2001.....only got one!, get another! dual monitors rock!
If your not into that....maybe SCSI 15k atlas'?
if not, save your cash for future upgrades

dude for playing everquest that system is WAY MORE than capable, i would defintely save my money. however if you have to spend money on something, then i would pick up a Logitech mx1000 mouse. Dude seriously save that money for something non computer related that you pretty much have a very nice system.

Do you think I will gain a noticable performance gain from upgrading my plain Crucial 3200 to something high performance such as OCZ Plat ver 2?

only in synthetic benchmarks, that high perf RAM is a big waste of money IMHO, you notice more of a difference selling your GT and going to an ultra...which would still be a minimal and waste IMO.

system rocks. I personally am liking the post from ajrettke about dual monitors. If you can't live without spending that money, look into throwing up another monitor. I play SWG and think it would be very useful at times (since I commonly use online resources when playing). Your RAM is fast enough (if all you play is EQ and don't have a desire to get into some late breaking high end games - HL2, D3). 2 Raptors in RAID 0 is plenty (da*mn!) I enjoy the dvd burning thing. And with no more late fees at Blockbuster.... oh happy day. The vid card... as was already posted, there is not sense in upgrading this fine thing. You don't need an Ultra, especially for EQ (I'm sure EQ is getting annihilated by that).

I have heard that EQ2 is a memory hog, however, and if you're planning on jumping into that you may want to up it to 2gigs. I played the tutorial to EQ2 and was so fed up with it after that that I haven't logged back in. Glad my friend let me borrow his account name to give it a test run, saved me $50.

To sum it up, either save the cash or go dualies. The 15k HD sounds nice, but I don't think it's worth the price at this time. Maybe in a year or two when the price has come down. Also not worth it since you already have 2 Raptors in RAID0, I doubt you'd see much performance gain.

Back