• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Tons of Q's. Barton > MP? MP Mobo for ocing? Other general suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
Hey all...

So I /wanted/ to go with a dual opteorn mobo. Then I realised that the entire set up would be $2000 for what I want, when I can get a system with bigger hard drive space, 2x mp system, and a 6800 GT vidcard for about $600 less than my projected for the opteron system. So anyhow, I've heard quite a bit about modding Athlon XP's to MP, but I would like a link to an FAQ or something a little more take your hand and guide you through it type thing. Also should 2x Mobile Barton 3000+ procs be fine in a dual system?

Also, I was interested in the proper mobo. All I've heard about really is the k7d dual mp mobo as being ANYTHING near overclocker or enthusiast oriented boards. Would the k7d be the ONLY mobo that's ok for me? Even the review I read said the max supported FSB is only 150? No mobos have higher than this? also, what multis does it support? if it only goes up to 12.5 like many boards? If it's only 12.5 * 150 Mhz, then that's a max clock of only 1.875 ghz? :(

After all that, anyone got a link to a review taht shows the information about voltage control with the board as well? Any other boards you want to suggest as well?

Please, whatever advice that you guys can give would be helpful :)

Thanks,

Excelsior

Check out the stickies...There ya will find all the answers ya need..

the max multi with the wire mode is 24x i have had mine at 18x for some time @ 2.6ghz it can probaly do more but cant get any more juice to the cpu's

ryanmartini said:
have you considered xeons? the athlon xp's life is coming to an end.

No.

I had a dual xeon rig before, didn't like it. Anyhow, I don't support Intel for moral reasons. One of the main being that they have huge holdings in Israel and support the Israeli government.

I'm going with 2x barton 2600+s hopefully, overclocked. I just wish I could afford the dual opteron 246 rig I wanted oiginally :p

Excelsior said:
No.

I had a dual xeon rig before, didn't like it. Anyhow, I don't support Intel for moral reasons. One of the main being that they have huge holdings in Israel and support the Israeli government.

I'm going with 2x barton 2600+s hopefully, overclocked. I just wish I could afford the dual opteron 246 rig I wanted oiginally :p

Maybe save a little more and get opteron 240's ? They should compete strongly with the bartons ^.^

ryanmartini said:
Maybe save a little more and get opteron 240's ? They should compete strongly with the bartons ^.^

And as time passed, you could upgrade to the 246's or even higher as prices dropped.

Also, I would go with the lower priced barton. From what I have read, most people overclock to around 2.3ish ghz. Of course some go higher, and some go lower, but the most common place is right around there. Since you most likely wont be able to push the upper limits of the chip, no sense in getting the top of the line chips. Save a few bucks.

*BTW: If this is bad advice, someone tell me, and I will strike it from the records ;-]

This was going to be my plan, until I found out about the LV Xeons..

perfectturmoil said:
And as time passed, you could upgrade to the 246's or even higher as prices dropped.

Also, I would go with the lower priced barton. From what I have read, most people overclock to around 2.3ish ghz. Of course some go higher, and some go lower, but the most common place is right around there. Since you most likely wont be able to push the upper limits of the chip, no sense in getting the top of the line chips. Save a few bucks.

*BTW: If this is bad advice, someone tell me, and I will strike it from the records ;-]

This was going to be my plan, until I found out about the LV Xeons..

YGPM

Back