• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Anyone using VOIP

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orion25

Folding in memory of my dads, Tim B. & Mike B.
As the Title asks, is there anyone out there with any real world experience with VOIP. We are thinking of giving it a shot but I would like some feedback on others experiences.

Thanks

are you talking about for home use or for buisness use? I dont' in either case, but looking at deploying it at work

I am looking at Vonage for Home use.

I've got it and it's better than my phone company service. My phone bill was $70+ a month and now is never over $40, plus I had no features before (call waiting, caller-id etc....) now I have every feature available. It used to be that every time I made a long distance call to relatives, it would be horribly staticy. I blamed their phones, then a bad exchange, then my phone lines. IT WAS THE PHONE COMPANY!!! Everything is crystal clear now. I can't be happier with mine. I don't use vonage, I use VOIP through Warner Cable.

No, works just like a regular phone line, plugs into a phone jack in your house and from there into your cable modem and badda bing, no more phone company. Every jack in the house works with it just being plugged into one jack. It's pretty remarkable IMO.

Yeah, the recommended bandwidth is at least 512Kbs download/512Kbs upload. No, your ISP doesnt necissarily need to support it, but you may have issues if they have older equipment. VOIP really relies on QoS support to be really good, so if your ISP uses older equipment, you may get packet loss and dropped calls because of it. Your ISP may also block the packets, if they dont want you to us VOIP on their network. Some phone companies are doing this to force their internet users to pay more for VOIP capability.

It does not work with DSL and I have a dedicated cable line for my VOIP so I still get my 1MB/s bandwidth on the d/l side. It's awesome.

theMonster said:
It does not work with DSL and I have a dedicated cable line for my VOIP so I still get my 1MB/s bandwidth on the d/l side. It's awesome.

It will work with any broadband connection, unless the equipment specifically doesnt support it. Your modem, or ISP may not support VOIP, therefore it will not work for you.

Just set up VOIP today with a Linksys PAP2 and Vonage. Very simple to set up, and the quality is great. You really can't beat $25 per month for unlimited telephone calls nationwide. I have all the features that I had with my regular telephone line, for less than half the price.

I was an early adopter. :)

I've had Vonage since October of 2003.

I WILL NEVER HAVE A CONVENTIONAL LANDLINE AGAIN!!!

I've used it with three different providers. Comcast (1.5mb/256k), Charter (265k/128k), and Wave (3.0mb/512). The only one I had issues with was the Charter 256k connection due to bandwidth issues; talking on the phone and surfing at the same time could be annoying (chopping due to packets fighting). On my current 30mb pipe, I've never had a problem, Even with heavy downloading (Talked to my mom while I had a Linux distro downloading @450k/sec. Had to kill time somehow...)

Their customer service rocks! When I first got it, I was having trouble trying to get MCI to hand over my phone #. MCI sat on it for two months and wouldn't release it, tried telling me it was Vonage's fault. A three way call with Vonage customer service to MCI helped me to tell MCI where to stick it. Had my number in a matter of hours.

Overall I couldn't be happier. It's cheap (I chuckle out-loud at phone commercials now.), reliable, and neither I or the people I'm talking to can tell it's VOIP.

If you want, PM me. I'll give you a call.

UberBlue said:
I was an early adopter. :)

I've had Vonage since October of 2003.

I WILL NEVER HAVE A CONVENTIONAL LANDLINE AGAIN!!!

I've used it with three different providers. Comcast (1.5mb/256k), Charter (265k/128k), and Wave (3.0mb/512). The only one I had issues with was the Charter 256k connection due to bandwidth issues; talking on the phone and surfing at the same time could be annoying (chopping due to packets fighting). On my current 30mb pipe, I've never had a problem, Even with heavy downloading (Talked to my mom while I had a Linux distro downloading @450k/sec. Had to kill time somehow...)

Their customer service rocks! When I first got it, I was having trouble trying to get MCI to hand over my phone #. MCI sat on it for two months and wouldn't release it, tried telling me it was Vonage's fault. A three way call with Vonage customer service to MCI helped me to tell MCI where to stick it. Had my number in a matter of hours.

Overall I couldn't be happier. It's cheap (I chuckle out-loud at phone commercials now.), reliable, and neither I or the people I'm talking to can tell it's VOIP.

If you want, PM me. I'll give you a call.

Thanks!!! That was just the description I was looking for. I am in an apartment right now but plan on Buying a house in a couple of monthe. When we move, Vonage it is!!!

Back