• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Reboot & Locks on Gigabyte MPX w/6800gt

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

speciestraitor

Registered
I just did a fresh install of WinXP Pro and have problems w/my new 6800gt all day.

It randomly locks up - leaving me to hard reset - or it reboots on its own.

This is my setup:
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+ (P)
2x2600+ XP-m @ 2380
2x512 Samsung reg'd 2700DDR
SB Audigy 2 ZS
NEC USB 2
Evga - NVTV tuner card
600w Enermax PSU
Onboard LAN

I am not doing anything in particualr when it locks - it has locked on the desktop with me just accessing the 'start' menu, locked browing w/IE and firefox.

I have played short stints of games (Doom 3 and HL2) and it did not lock at all.

I switched around PCI slots too - w/my USB, nvtv and audigy 2

the temps of my GPU and CPUs are fine.

I think it has to do with my IRQ assignments(s).

If anyone can help with IRQ assigning that would be great. With this mobo I'm a little lost with 'reserved' and 'pci device' IRQ assigning.

My Raid, USB and Sb Audigy are sharing the same IRQ - most other components seem to be on their own IRQ.

I have disabled my serial and parallel ports - I do no use or plan on using them. I hoped it would free IRQs - but this didn't help at all though.

All of my PCI cards are in the 32-bit pci slots.

thanks!

Edited for clarity.

For the above mentioned setup - up to this morning I had a 9800pro as my GPU that worked fine.

I have run Prime95 and memtest countless times on the 9800pro setup - and never had rpoblems. I havent tried benching - since the my workstation locks with just web browsing.

Thanks again

I had issues with my 6800GT doing this on my single cpu rig and found that my g800gt was verypartial to being on its own power rail. Regardless of what I shared it with it would lock and crash till I finally just gave it its own.

Be sure no cards are below the AGP slot..Additionally I would use a 64/66 slot for any 32/66 card exspecially if it is a drive controller card..

If you have IRQ issues remove all add in cards keep video in and insatll the O/S..Make sure the slot below AGP stays open and then start to add cards 1 at a time to be sure there not conflicting with the AGP..

I did a re-install of the agp chipset and miniport driver in safe mode - and my system has been running straight since my last post (8:32am) while being used heavily at times.

Hopefully this cleared up the problem.

Getting a straight power connection is a little tough w/my setup (add two WD.SE 160GB on Raid 0). I am not using a 'Y' adapter - but both molex power connectors going to the 6800gt are on the same chain.

I am using Bios rev F5 and may flash to F7 if it remains unstable.

I did try adding cards one at a time and booting - but my method of testing wasn't very reliable since my workstation locked doing different things. If it remains stable for the next day I'll try benching it.

Back