• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Two mouse/Keyboard sets on one computer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sangram

Is it possible?

I like a corded one for gaming but since my GF watches a lot of movies we like to lounge around and would like to co-ordinate the DVDs from the couch rather than getting up each time we need to pause, change the volumes, etc.

And when I game, I need a fast, responsive system even if it is corded. I would like the best of both worlds. I was looking at the MX Duo or the MS Intellimouse wireless Pro. But those are expen$ive and I'm not sure about the lag, as the MX700 only does 125 Hz or so.

So I was thinking of a basic wireless set and a corded set together on the same machine. I don't know if this is possible though, and if so, how.

Any ideas on how to connect it up, and how to set the system up two switch between the keyboard/mouse set?

I mostly play driving games, all with the keyboard (can't get used to a wheel). Some FPS, but not much. The last I played was Max Payne and RTCW. Not really my thing, only once in a while.

You can plug in as many input peripherals as you have ports. Just put the cordless mouse in it's charger while you're using your corded mouse and your problem will be solved.

why don't you get a mx1000? There's no lag...not even a hint of it

I see no reason why you couldn't try it

Thanks guys. That was helpful.

MX 1000 is not available easily in the country. The highest we can get is the MX Duo cordless, which I was thinking of if I would only accomodate one set. I heard that also has no to very few lag problems. Can't be worse than the generic $10 PS2 optical mouse I am using.

I'm still considering getting the MS Intelli-Pro set or the MX Duo though (cost $140 ans $120 respectively), because of battery consumption, range and build quality, over an el-cheapo $30 chinese set.

Once again thanks for the info.

you can also use a standard KVM switch...normaly it has 2 sets of inputs for mice/keyboard, and one set of outputs, but all it does is connect the circuits from one to the other, so simply use the 2 outputs as an inputs, and the input as the output....
but as said the USB keyboard and PS/2 keyboard, then USB mouse and ps/2 mouse would work fine....all USB or any combination of USB and one PS/2 would work too.

OK for the record and to respond to everybody who helped so much.

After much considering I went to pick up the MX Duo cordless and ended up with the Microsoft Cordless Elite, whitebox special, $55 only, compared to the $88 Duo.

Whereas I feel the Logitech was a lot more robust and would have been more precise and less laggy. The Microsoft came dirt cheap (in a country where hardware prices >>>>> US) and I get a one-year store support (Logitech came with three-year manufacturer warranty) but so far it's been easy on my very primitive rechargeables, two days of light use and just about 10% of the battery is used.

The mouse has a very slight lag. Not very nearly noticeable, but I'm not playing FPS on it, so no biggie. Mouse has place for two batteries but works fine with just one. I had reversed the second battery accidentally, but the mouse worked fine. Now it is just using one, the keyboard needs three batteries.

On the other issue, both my wired and wireless sets coexist and the system responds to commands from both. So it makes for nice 2-player solitaire and scrabble sort of games where neither has to fight for the keyboard/mouse. The Keyboard is a little dicey as it has no lights, but the lock keys (Caps, scroll, num) show up on the wired keyboard when they're pressed on the wireless.

Addendum: The wired sets are connected to PS/2 and the wireless to the USB port, in case you were wondering.

Last edited:
Glad it all worked out. That kind of set up would be handy for old console split screen style multiplayer games, though there isnt really the need with networking and all...

Back