• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How's this sound??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

stang8118

I am building a new system in a few weeks. I was wondering if i can get some input on how well it should do. It's been a while since i've been around computers so i am a bit out of date on what's good and stuff.

AMD 64bit 2800+ (got it free, so i am gonna use this)
Muskin 512x2 Value Ram ($140.00)
Duel 40gig WD SATA hd's Raid 0 ($100.00)
Abit AV8 mobo ($85ish)
Antec 430w PSU (think $70)
Sony 8x DVD+-RW/CD-RW burner ($10.00 from my work on clerance)

Either a 9800pro ($175.00)
or
Used 6800NU ($250.00)

How does my new setup sound? I am not trying to spend more then $600ish out of pocket cash...

hmmm, you might want to consider seagate barracudas for the hard drive, as they are native SATA instead of using a bridging chip

get the 6800NU and then unlock the pipes... don't waste money on last-gen cards =P

you already have case, fans, HSFs, and all, right???

Sounds like a good setup to me. Although if i was you i would go pci e. But that is just my opinion.

No its a fine setup. Is the cpu socket 754 or 939? If 754, spend the extra 25$ and get the DFI UT Lanparty board. You will be glad you did. All other boards have issues.

Also, upgrade for 10$ and get a fortron PSU (like the 530). Big difference when OC"ing a 64 bit processor.

My cpu is socket 754. I will look into the DFI lanparty board if you think it would be more bang for the buck.

I was gonna go with single/duel raptors, but i use to own a 36gig raptor and with its cost i can get two 7200rpm HD's with 2-3x's the storage in a raid 0 setup. Duel raptors is just way to much for what i can afford atm.

I will probably end up getting the Fortron 530 PSU, because i am sure the athlon 64's are pretty hungry for juice when you OC them. I am not looking to go crazy on a super high OC, maybe like 300ish MHZ will do me fine for a while. The video card on the other hand i will try to get a big OC on it. I've noticed more of a performance gain on OCing a video card then OCing a CPU while gaming.

Thanks all for the tips :)

If you are willing to spend an extra $70, I would suggest maybe some Patriot XBL PC-3200 RAM as it has samsung TCCD chips and are great for overclocking (or even not overclocking).
As far as the video card, the 6800NU would obviously be your best bet, but if you wanted to save $40, you should get the 6600GT over the 9800pro because it is newer and faster;)
I have also heard many good things about the DFI s754 board so that would be a good choice too if ya want. And yeah, go for a bigger PSU like that fortron 530 or an OCZ powersteam (preferable the 470 or greater).

Back