• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Critique this

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Slake

Had a $1000.00 Budget.
I shoulda posted this before ordering. But at least I can't blame anyone but myself if something ain't up to snuff. I think I could of done better on the ram. I found a great deal on the Asus Nforce4 SLI board. I was going to get the Chaintech Ultra or the Gigabyte non-Ultra when I stumbled on the Asus for forty bucks more, so I figured it was worth incurring the wrath of THE WIFE to get all the benefits of Ultra PLUS SLI. I am sure I won't get a chance to run it in SLI at least until my Birthday in August. I also couldn't fit a DVD r/w into the budget but I think that within a month or so THE WIFE will be wanting one and I'll jump on a NEC 16X Double Layer DVD±RW Drive, ND-3520A, OEM . Using my old cd-rw meantime. Gotta RUN THE WIFE is bellowi.... errr calling.

CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3200+ 512K 90nm (939) $187.00 Monarch
Mobo: ASUS A8N-SLI DLX $177.52 Axent Micro
RAM: 1Gb DDR PC-3200, Model PDC1G3200LLK 512x2 $185.00 Newegg
HSF: Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu $39.95 CaseMod
TM: Arctic Silver 5 $7.59 Newegg
PSU: FSP 500W Blue Storm $78.00 Electroseller
GFX: Albatron nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT $199.00 Newegg
HDD: Hitachi 80GB SATA HDS722580VLSA80 $63.00 Newegg
FnCtl:Super Flower Fan Master $24.99 MpcParts
Case: Lian Li PC-65 W/window Silver $90.00 Xpcgear

Aslan said:
If you're willing to spend a bit more money, you could swap the Hitachi drive for a Seagate SataII drive and gain more performance.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=22-148-040&depa=1

Also, with your memory, you could swap it for some G-Skill TCCD if you wish to OC further.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=20-231-006&depa=1

Thanks for the comments and advice guys. That G-Skill is WAYYYY outta my budget, but that Seagate SATAII w/NCQ is verry tempting. I'd have to pay a restock fee though. The Hitachi will serve well for a while then maybe experiment with the Seagates later in a raid setup.

Back