• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best idea ever!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kitler

Sooo...I was going home on a airplane and looked at someones I-pod and this great idea poped into my head.... I was thinking what if you had a link that linked 2 I-pods together and had software that could make it so you could transfer mp3s and what not 2 the other I-pod....

Any thoughts... I don't know If it would work though.... Or has it been done.... :beer:

Heh, me and my buddy actually thought of that. We were going to make bluetooth (possibly wifi also) enabled mp3 devices. The idea is that a central server (itunes for example) would have hashes of official versions of songs, then you would add that to a list (or a genra, artist, etc) and your mp3 player would automatically connect to others and download the song if it was there. But then we caught wind that Apple already had something like that on the design table.. . . Would have been a great entrepenur operation :-/

edit: You could also have an "ipod radio station" where you would broadcast your favorite songs via wifi or bluetooth and other mp3 players would pick it up and play it. But yeah, its definately an idea that is now being explored.

you can do this some other players. i thought iriver, but i could be wrong.

first off, this would violate DRM and the RIAA would have a hissy fit. its pretty much short distance file sharing.

second, pretty much anything made for the ipod has to be approved by apple. not to mention you would need a lot of info from them which they dont just hand out.

you could just use an FM transmitter and have an short distance fm station. that can done pretty easily, but your mp3 player needs an fm reciever which the ipod does not.

Zip is right, the RIAA would smack you in the head if they heard that ;) They don't even like the idea that you can connect it to a pc via a usb or firewire cable and it is detected as a hard drive. Just go to view hidden files and copy away. I had to do this to avoid a MAJOR pain, when my HD died. I just copied all my CDs back from the iPod to the PC, this way I didn't have to re-encode everything, which would've taken forever (200+ CDs). I'm glad the RIAA can't get their way on this part.

Back