• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Afraid to flash bios?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

creepy

I have never had the kahones to flash my bios due to the horror stories of it that ive read along with not knowing how to do it by putting the file on a floppy and so forth.
Yesterday I finally got my new a64 running. Along with the motherboard drivers came a utility called "winflash" which I would HIGHLY reccomend. All that is needed is to dl the new bios of your choice. Extract it or open it and copy the file in the zipfile somewhere. I put it on my desktop. Open the program then click file,save old bios, then click backup. It will then back it up. Once done click file, update bios, then select the .bin file you extracted or copied out of the zipped folder you downloaded. Then click update bios restart and youre done.

Just thought this would be a help to some of you.

Yeah flashing from floppies is terrifying. Using a bootable CD makes me warm and fuzzy though. :)

Flashing the BIOS is kinda risky...however, some places offer a replacement BIOS chip with the purchase of certain mobos(for an extra charge) if anything should go wrong with flashing your BIOS...I got one with my NF7 that I got from excaliberpc.com. However, I've yet to come across a problem with flashing my BIOS via floppy.

Me either...for 10 years. Then BAM the stupid floppy drive dies in the middle of a flash on my Epox 8K3A+. Took me a few hours of tinkering with hot flashing to get that mobo back in service. Floppy disks and drives must be the least reliable component ever attached to a computer and they're so painfully slow it leaves plenty of time for the power to fail.

Yeah, my ASUS A7N8X Deluxe came with a BIOS flashing utility that works from Windows - Asus Update, I think. It's good stuff. There's really nothing dangerous about flashing BIOS as long as you have the write image and do it properly ..

subtotal said:
yeah. hey dos anyone have a link to a program for making bootable cds?

I've been using BFD/BCD for some time. It's about as painless as it gets. :) Gimme a sec and I'll recollect where I snagged it from.

i was like biting my fingernails the first (and untill now last) time i flashed my bios cause i know what a nightmare i would be in if somthing went wrong...
i used the gigabyte flash program ummm watzit called? it worked and i reccommend progs like that to anyone any day especially over a floppy drive...

and (in a mexican accent) :We are men with big kahones (sp?) :attn: :attn:

Back