• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Switch, setting up for lan party

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Reyn

ok, i got a 16 port switch.

what do I do now? hook each computer to the switch with RJ 45 cables, what about the ip for each comp?

another thing, what if I want my cable internet for the? can I just hook the cable modem onto 1 of the port on the switch and let all 16 comps share the internet?

well, if you just want to play by yourselves (no internet) just make sure all the ip addresses on the comps are different, but with same subnet masks. You probably wont be able to just plug in the switch right to the cable modem- you need a router for everyone to share the internet connection. If it does work, you may get in trouble w/ your isp for hooking up all the computers, lol.

Use a router.

Go Modem --> Router --> switch

The router will also auto-assign the ip addresses (assuming the pcs have "Obtain an ip address automatically" enabled which is the default).

All the pcs will also have internet access.

Back