• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Nforce 4 Ultras turned into Nforce4Sli?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

wfarid

Here's the anadtech article http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2322&p=1

pretty interesting and easy... What anadtech baically did was do a pencil mod with one bridge on the chipset and wallah it was read as sli and according to anandtech:
All tests were run on a DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D and a DFI LANParty nF4 SLI-DR. We first confirmed that test results were the same on the LANParty UT modified to SLI and the LANParty nF4 SLI, which is a native SLI chipset board. There was no difference in performance after the SLI modification to the Ultra chipset, so results are reported as SLI and relevant to either SLI or Ultra modified to SLI

this is wonderful news for the enthusiasts who are looking for a bang for a buck

What is the price difference between the two chipsets? if its substantial, it might be worth the try, and if its alot you may see locked chips in awhile...

Then i supposes nvidia will go and lock the chips. Thats just too much for them to give away.

/me remembers the time when a 300Mhz PII would do 450 after a multiplier change :clap:

let us know what you can make out of it :)

Would be pretty cool if it was as simple as anandtech says.

- What mobo did you order precisely?

Sjaak said:
Then i supposes nvidia will go and lock the chips. Thats just too much for them to give away.

The question is: Why would nVIDIA not lock the chips in the first place? Why would nVIDIA allow it to happen? They HAD to have known that this was possible and that their consumers would figure it out sooner or later (I guess sooner rather than later ;)).

Swatdog said:
The question is: Why would nVIDIA not lock the chips in the first place? Why would nVIDIA allow it to happen? They HAD to have known that this was possible and that their consumers would figure it out sooner or later (I guess sooner rather than later ;)).

I guess in a great company small things can be easily overlooked. 'Customers' like us tend to get more creative, too. Bad thing is that they'll probably learn from it for the future.

I wouldn't be supprised if they knew quite well how easy it would be to modify and that a few people would start doing it. Making extreme computer enthusienst happy is something they want to do.

They will loose some money from the few hundred of us that will actually buy this board and mod it, but I would think they would make that money back and more from the free advertising we provide. Our friends and people looking at stuff we say on the web see what we are saying and follow our advice quite a bit. If everyone is talking about how great the new nvidia boards are and what a deal they are, regular people are going to buy nvidia stuff.

matttheniceguy said:
I wouldn't be supprised if they knew quite well how easy it would be to modify and that a few people would start doing it. Making extreme computer enthusienst happy is something they want to do.

They will loose some money from the few hundred of us that will actually buy this board and mod it, but I would think they would make that money back and more from the free advertising we provide. Our friends and people looking at stuff we say on the web see what we are saying and follow our advice quite a bit. If everyone is talking about how great the new nvidia boards are and what a deal they are, regular people are going to buy nvidia stuff.

I agree, maybe it's a conpiracy!
:)

Why they would let this happen is the same reason that ATI let 9500np be softmodable into 9700s and AMD allowed CPUs that were multiunlocked for all those years. Becuase they didn't think people were going to take advantage of it, then they did and those companies made it hard or impossible to do something like that in the future, same thing will happen here.

^^^ in this way it will teach these companies not to simply change 1 thing in a chipset and actually put something significant to differentiate their chipsets beside closing one bridge.

Actually make it worth the upgrade.

I don't think Nvidia anticipated motherboard manufacturers using one PCB for all their motherboards. Seems logical enough to me though, It is basically the same thing as them leaving 2 pads disconnected to disable SLi. They want to cut costs, well so do motherboards manufacturers.

hi every one I'm new kiddo on the board.
to above NVIDIA SLI only big thing that i can see. Is in the spliting frame scenes in to a two halfs and both of them will be send true GPU with close 50/50% frame buffer witch would be lossless date stream. spliting them like that take load in 1/2 on both side and that can be very nice since you don't have to run that much date at once and 10GBps is sure nice # for gamers. for 600$ i'm not sure if it's worth it for me at this moment.

BokiOverclocker said:
hi every one I'm new kiddo on the board.
to above NVIDIA SLI only big thing that i can see. Is in the spliting frame scenes in to a two halfs and both of them will be send true GPU with close 50/50% frame buffer witch would be lossless date stream. spliting them like that take load in 1/2 on both side and that can be very nice since you don't have to run that much date at once and 10GBps is sure nice # for gamers. for 600$ i'm not sure if it's worth it for me at this moment.

Dang... I didn't understand one single word you said... :eek: :eh?:

matttheniceguy said:

They will make more money selling two video cards and cheap mobo, than they will be selling just a mobo and losing a customer to ATI who sees that a x850 or x800 is a better performer in single card head to head performance. It's a three way advantage for nVidia, gain enthusiast support, sell more products, and draw customers away from ATI, IMO its almost silly not to offer a poor man's sli.

wfarid said:
Here's the anadtech article http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2322&p=1

pretty interesting and easy... What anadtech baically did was do a pencil mod with one bridge on the chipset and wallah it was read as sli and according to anandtech:
All tests were run on a DFI LANParty UT nF4 Ultra-D and a DFI LANParty nF4 SLI-DR. We first confirmed that test results were the same on the LANParty UT modified to SLI and the LANParty nF4 SLI, which is a native SLI chipset board. There was no difference in performance after the SLI modification to the Ultra chipset, so results are reported as SLI and relevant to either SLI or Ultra modified to SLI

this is wonderful news for the enthusiasts who are looking for a bang for a buck
What frontpage article is this in reference to?

Back