• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

modem and hard drive probs

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

A1Killer

ok ill start with my nutty hard drive. ok here it goes one day i started up my comp and it started fine but when i got online internet explorer took 100% of the cpu but when i took it to a copmuter techy it worked fine but when i took it home it slowed down way more yall got any ideas what it could be? I am guessing viruse but i aint all that sure.

Oh and the hard drive in the compaq and my hdd probs is a samsung brand hdd

Ok heres the modem prob i have a compaq S4110CL with an asus A7N8X-LA
mobo amd 2600+ proc 512 pc2700 ram 120gb hdd cd-rw and a dvd-rom the modem on it will connect to the net but wont go any where what i mean is it wont go anywhere is i start internet explorer and it acts like i am not connected it wont go to any website not even yalls it sucks rubys it aint a modem issue cause i changed modems on it 3 times and it wont do didly could it be the pci slot or could the mobo be a defective one?

If you can please tell me whats wrong cause i am getting tired of the compaq

For the HDD it sounds like it could either be a virus or spyware. Do a full system scan with a spyware program and AV program. I suggest either AdAware, Spybot or Search & Destroy(search the site) for spyware removal & AVG for AV.

For the modem, try uninstalling TCPI/IP & then reinstalling it(in Network in the control panel). Also try replacing wsock32.dll and winsock.dll as they may have gotten corrupted. Do you happen to have your OS disk, and what OS do you have?

The OS is WinXP i dont have the os disk cause the comps never came with one they came with software to burn a restore disk but my mother never did that so i think i might be a little scrued there lol and for the av i had norton on it but it never found any thing and i had spy sweeper for the spyware and adaware detection but it only found this one file that was called Idho.ini and i couldn't figure out what it was all it was was a few lines of code and thats it.
Thanx for the tcpi/ip suggestion ill try that and since i dont ahve the restore disc can ya tell me where i could get copys of it?

Back