• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Turned on comp=big flash+smoke

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ferria

Hi guys,

After 4-5 months of no use i try to turn on my second comp but got only a big flash (from powersupply) and smoke (burned). I hit the power button a second time but nothing happend so i'am guessing it shorted out the powersupply.What you guys think are the other components damaged as well? ( hope not i really liked that ASUS board ) Next time i'am home i will take it apart and try with a diff powersupply. The powersupply inside was a no name 300W unit 5 years old ( should not die like this thought )

What ya think will i be lucky and all the rest components are fine?

hmmm, I recently had the same thing happen to my power supply. there was mostly just smoke, but it was totally cooked. And when I plugged in a new power supply, all my components worked perfectly fine! I hope it is the same case for you. Basically i was told by pc power and cooling there are "resistors" that cut off power when a short happens so nothing can be damaged. And I guess they have to do this to be certified to make power supplies. hopefully all will be well, but cross everything when you turn it on :thup:

lucky you. it was the power supply. happened to me, but it was my sound blaster audigy platinum. I'd somehow hooked something to it wrong during a mod, and it started to smoke when i turned my compy on.

I had the PS in a iMac Rev.B do this. Being an all-in-one design, everything but the HD and CD were toast, including the monitor support board. :cry:

So now I am left with just my PC and saving for another mac. Maybe by next Xmas .... :santa2:

happened to me...took out a HDD..funny thing was, it took like a day for it to happen. first uses, it ran weird...sluggish, non responsive, didnt wanna start everytime..

Mine took out the modo, vidcard, soundcard, and CPU. The system wasn't two months old, had the whole thing replaced free of charge. All that lived through it were my HDD, modem, floppy.

I wonce stuck a paper clip in a PSU while comp was on. Dont ask why or how I did because it was stupid... Ppl were mad but I had faith, I figured the PSU makes would have enugh sense to if something shorted not fry the rest of comp. Anyways we put in a new powersupply and everything worked just fine.

I had a powersupply blow and it didn't damage anything. Usually there's some fault switch or something in there to prevent your parts from keeling over too.

the last time that happend to me, everything was gone, including mobo/cpu, hdd, ram, the graphic card made it through though :)

Back