• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

5.1 speakers with audio digital in?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

arnoldma

are there any speakers on the computer marked with 5.1 sound or higher, and audio digital in support? im suprise they r not all are, ebcause most onboard sound mobo have digital audio out support these days!

ps. also phono support along with audio digital in would be awsome tongue.gif

I know that the Logitech Z-680s have Optical and Coax digital inputs, along with analog. I have a set, and I must say, they are great speakers with a lot of power. I think that the Logitech 5500's have all of the above mentioned connections too. Not too sure about other brands though.

yeah i've the logitech z-5500 have them too, whats the difference between the z680 and z5500, which is better?

r there any cheaper models that have the same sort connections...?

arnoldma said:
yeah i've the logitech z-5500 have them too, whats the difference between the z680 and z5500, which is better?

r there any cheaper models that have the same sort connections...?

The 5500s are just revised Z680s with a new woofer and they refined the wiring a bit.

Logitech Z-5500s are revision of Z-680 w/ larger sub and hissing fixed also Z-5500s' Satt. using RCA connectors instead Z-680 using wire connectors

arnoldma said:
are there any speakers on the computer marked with 5.1 sound or higher, and audio digital in support? im suprise they r not all are, ebcause most onboard sound mobo have digital audio out support these days!

ps. also phono support along with audio digital in would be awsome tongue.gif
You could look at cheap receiver/home theater packages.

i have a 5.1 eke sound system that has digital in as that is what i am using it is fairly cheap but it does the job i guess

Check out Klipsch Speakers, they are fairly expensive but have the digital inputs that you are looking for.

so, do the Z-680's or any PC speakers with digital input then have a decoder onboard (in the sub, I would imagine)? Do they decode all the home theater standards? I basically want to know if z-680's hooked to a DVD player with digital out will decode and play the 5.1 audio stream from a DVD appropriately.

Yes, the decoder is on board and it is usually found in the sub. A good source for this kind of information can easily be found on the products webpage. http://www.logitech.com/lang/pdf/z680.pdf

But basically you can hook up 1 extra device whether it be a Playstation, Xbox, or DVD player and will be able to play 5.1 SS.

there is a control pod of Z-680/Z-5500 which has 3 types of connectors: 3 mini plugs connector, Optical connector, and Coax Connector. Coax connector is SPDIF onboard and Optical Connector is where you can hook up your DVD, Gaming Consoles, etc... and last 3 mini plugs usually for standard Computer's Sound Cards/Onboard

how about a 2.1 system with digital in :) lol i don't really need 5.1 but all my dam sound cards got digital out, (i just got a new external sound card, it has digital out, so i'm looking for a new set with digital in)

Back