• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Questions About Dual Xeon Build (Nocona)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dbp_inSOMNiak

Registered
My friend recently came to me for help building his first dual cpu computer, but I have some questions, since this will also be my first dual cpu build.

1) Besides the Asus NCT-D, are there any motherboards available that offer support for dual Nocona Xeons and PCI-e graphics? (Any with SLI?)

2.) Based on the performance to cost, will I get that much of an improvement difference from the:
2.8Ghz Xeon ($245.00 ea. @ Newegg)
3.6EA Ghz Xeon ($875.00 ea. @ Newegg)
(Or does it just make sense to wait a bit and see if the prices fall?)

3.) Can anyone recommend a PSU range for this system? Right now I am looking at a ~650Watt Case + watercooling.

Also.. any warnings or advice from past experiences would be nice =D.

Thanks.
-dbp

1) Forget about SLI and PCI-e for now. SLI is more of a gimmick than actually useful for the cost, and most AGP cards perform about on par with the pci-e cards out right now. With that said, the Asus NCCH-DL is your pick. Supports dual noconas, everything you need. If you REALLY want to spend that much, wait until a dual opteron board with SLI comes out, but for now it's a waste of your time and money.

2) Noconas really aren't your best pick on a decent budget. The 1.6GHz Low Voltage Xeons are rediculously good at overclocking, and will get you up to about 2.8GHz on air hyperthreaded if you're lucky. Also, ask your friend to name 10 64 bit applications he might be using. Then you tell me if he needs a $1600 set of processors. The pair I'm talking about costs $100. That's not a typo. $100 for both. Plus you can always upgrade later.

3)You want lots of power, but keep in mind you need an EPS12V system for this, so that means a special 8 pin connector on the mobo. I'd reccomend the Antec TruePower EPS12V 550W.

Newegg has quite a few Nocona Motherboards, search for 7525 chipset
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufactory.asp?catalog=302&DEPA=0
Most of them are Supermicro or Tyan, so not any overclocking features.

Iwill makes the DJ800 and DN800
http://www.iwillusa.com/products/ProductLV2.asp?vID=91&SID=50&MID=25

I can't personally recommend any of them, I'm still using all Asus PC-DLs
As Seven stated the PC-DL and a pair of $100 LV Xeons is hard combo to beat.

I have all Antec 550w EPS or Sparkle 550W EPS power supplys

Gonna step in and third the 1.6LV comment...and NCCH-DL, or PC-DL, the PC-DL is cheaper (by 30-40 bucks give or take) and will run noconas but doesn't "support" them officialy.

If this is for a hardcore gamer, then going dual isn't the way, go A64 for a hardcore gamer.

A 6800GT will hang tough for a while in a dualy system your lookin into....Also newer cards that come out will still be AGP, so there still will be room for upgrading.

3)You want lots of power, but keep in mind you need an EPS12V system for this, so that means a special 8 pin connector on the mobo. I'd reccomend the Antec TruePower EPS12V 550W.

The fortron PSU in my sig is cheaper. Similar specs as well.

"It's a matter of who you like" is what I'm saying. They're probably about equal, but I have had good experiences with Antec so far, and I'd reccomend them to anybody. It all depends on what you're willing to go with that fits your budget.

Back