• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

sick and tired of windows xp

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

jonwessel

I think Mircrosoft needs to step up to the plate BIG TIME with Longhorn. I'm tired of the extreme slowiness of XP, it's SUCH A RESOURCE HOG!!! OINK OINK OINK!!!!

Looking at your sig, that 20gb hd of yours is probaby the bottelneck of your system, but on closer inspection, I see you have sdram. Which means you probably have a 1.6 willy correct?

First, SDRAM on a p4 serves the p4 absolutely no justice...the p4 was never really designed for sdram.

Second, the willy clock to clock is slower than the p3, it wasn't until the Northwood did the P4s started to shine. Couple a willy and sdram together and you have quite a bottleneck.

Rhetorical question: If Longhorn is supposed to hog even more system resources than XP, and you presently claim to be suffering form performance issues due to XP's allocation of resources, do you think an upgrade to Longhorn would solve your performance issues?

Before you think this is a flame, let me say that I too am sick and tired of XP. I'm sick and tired of the security threats/loopholes. I'm sick and tired of having my system constantly attacked. I'm sick and tired of MS's bs. However, I find your position somewhat illogical.

SOLUTION:
1. It may not be the hardware, maybe it's spyware...maybe it's viral...maybe your HD is heavily fragmented...maybe it's just time for a reformat.
2. Upgrade! An AXP coupled with a nforce2 based motherboard runs XP nicely and won't leave a dent in your wallet.

Last edited:
fldrice said:
Before you think this is a flame, let me say that I too am sick and tired of XP. I'm sick and tired of the security threats/loopholes. I'm sick and tired of having my system constantly attacked. I'm sick and tired of MS's bs. However, I find your position somewhat illogical.

Some people use MS Update and hope for the best... I use a firewall. :p

"Run Linux" seems to be a popular way to remove the bloat of XP, but it's just so hard finding good games that run in it (in my n00bish experience with it anyway :D)

JigPu

I rather like XP compared to all previous versions of Windows. It's a helluva lot faster than 2k, I mean it takes a whole 15 seconds from pushing the power button to usable desktop and about 5 seconds from hitting shutdown to hearing the fans kick off on my rig.

Lets all downgrade to 98SE!!! w00t.

Actually im on regular 98 machine right now.
450MHz PII

It ran XP fine back when I had XP on it. Your willy should cream this PII as far as XP performance. I would try formatting and getting XP freshly installed.

jonwessel said:
I think Mircrosoft needs to step up to the plate BIG TIME with Longhorn. I'm tired of the extreme slowiness of XP, it's SUCH A RESOURCE HOG!!! OINK OINK OINK!!!!
And you think longhorn is any better :confused: I personally like XP alot. Its everything I could want in an OS

XP is very tweakable. Do some research into it. I usually turn off most of the effects for faster performance.

I like XP, I never realy had a problem with it unless I have a slow hard drive. Like I do now on my laptop..... Any way, linux (GUI versions at least)are more of a resource hog then the same system running windows. (artical about it on slashdot.org)

it is your system - not XP and longhorn is going to be even MORE of a resource hog then XP is so you will suffer even more!

I started it out with Windoze 3.1, been through all the DoS versions, did the '95/'98/2000 trip, and I have to say I love XP Pro. XP is a resource hog? I have to say that I had XP installed on my system running my 1100 Celery, with 64meg of RAM, and it still smoked '98SE. 2000 smoked '98SE. I went up to 320meg and it got much better, but I've yet to see it as a resource hog, it just needs a few tweaks.

Longhorn isn't here because Microshaft can't convince any mobo manufacturers to produce a mobo that holds 8gig of RAM, and four CPU's. Rumour is that they'll have a mobo capable of holding the resources Longhorn needs in late '06. 3006, that is. :)

'm tired of the extreme slowiness of XP

The alternatives are out there.

Longhorn isn't here because Microshaft can't convince any mobo manufacturers to produce a mobo that holds 8gig of RAM, and four CPU's.

They already exist: http://www.tyan.com/products/html/thunderk8qspro.html

s4882.gif

Maybe you have to wait for Longhorn.

Or you could run Linux on it today.

XWRed1 said:
The alternatives are out there.

They already exist:

Maybe you have to wait for Longhorn.

Or you could run Linux on it today.

DOH! Man, what does one of those go for? By the time a guy bought 4 CPU's, 32gig of RAM, he couldn't afford the hydro bill to turn on the friggin thing on! Joe Public won't have one of those on his desktop in the near future, unless he wins the lottery! Very cool though, thanks for the link. :)

Windows XP on a defualt install uses about 100mb of ram so you running it on 64mb must have been heck - i have used the black viper guide and gotten it down to about 50mb on boot up and even still as soon as you open 1 single app you are using virtual ram - so i will call you on that XP running better then 98' on 64mb of ram.....

Min for XP out of box i would suggest if you plan to use other apps like office / IE and such is 256mb.

I seriously reduce the bloat of WindowsXP with the following software

1) XPLite Professional
2) Nlite
3) SafeXP

Currently I can Install XP in well under a gig without any problems (500mb and under), with massive performance improvements. Obviously to get the kind of improvements I do you have to strip it out a great deal.
Obviously by removing resource hogging services and applications you do improve the memory use of the OS as a whole

Last edited:
Mr.Guvernment said:
Windows XP on a defualt install uses about 100mb of ram so you running it on 64mb must have been heck - i have used the black viper guide and gotten it down to about 50mb on boot up and even still as soon as you open 1 single app you are using virtual ram - so i will call you on that XP running better then 98' on 64mb of ram.....

Min for XP out of box i would suggest if you plan to use other apps like office / IE and such is 256mb.

64meg of RAM, 1100 Celery, at the time running @1.224, smoked '98 and '98SE. I still have the two original sticks of RAM in this system, along with a stick of 256. I have to pull this puppy apart tonight, so I'll take a pic of the RAM, old beasties, 32meg each, came with my original mobo in '98. My wife was running a 533 Celery(still is, soon to be fixed) with 128meg, and XP Pro smoked '98/'98SE once again. She's now running 160meg of RAM, XP is slow, but nowhere near as slow as '98SE. My Celery @stock 1100mhz still smokes '98SE, I have '98SE on a 20gig partition of my HDD for older games, it blows.

256meg of RAM IS NOT required to run XP Pro, it runs bonus on 64meg, I know that for a fact, I did it for a good 6 months. Yeah, the extra 256meg made a huge difference, that's a given.

**edited by Brundle to remove anything that may be construed as a flame, or possible to invoke a flame**

Last edited:
heres a complaint i got about m$. First off, let me say after i make money on these independant films as the spfx guy, im going all out 100% dual G5 and never looking back.

I really wish windows had a text only version. Yea DOS whatever. You cant run a renderfarm for 3dsmax Brazil R/S on dos...you can make a cluster with XP/2k, but as stated above, your already using 100mb of ram. I cant make a backburner render farm with a text only setup..seeing since i dont need a gui for every node. One thing i love about linux, if you just need a box for all the power it can dish out and nothing more, you can make it happen.

I wish BeOS coulda developed into the x86 multimedia OS as it was intended.

I hear ya man, its always "your fault" when XP acts up. Thing is with linux, ive had it run just fine on old, and defective hardware. If something gets slower, its because i compiled it wrong and i can trace backwards to my problem.

As for mac osx, no problems....you guys can all rant how u dont know whats going on inside your comp with a mac, but sometimes, thats just waht we want....we want the copmuter to just work.

Brundle fly, NO IDEA how your getting those wondeful results on a 533machine. I put XP pro on my gfs 800mhz 256 machine....TERRIBLE. You open gaim and get greeted with "Windows Xp low virtual memory" i jacked up the pagefile, and this was on a clean install!

Its a weird OS. My bro runs it on a 400mhz Dell POS with 128mb ram, and it goes faster than my gfs comp.

MadSkillzMan said:
Brundle fly, NO IDEA how your getting those wondeful results on a 533machine. I put XP pro on my gfs 800mhz 256 machine....TERRIBLE. You open gaim and get greeted with "Windows Xp low virtual memory" i jacked up the pagefile, and this was on a clean install!

Its a weird OS. My bro runs it on a 400mhz Dell POS with 128mb ram, and it goes faster than my gfs comp.

It's not one machine, it's two machines, XP Pro build 2600, SP1. I tried SP2, and it just slammed a yard of cement on my system, it never went on the wife's. I don't install any of MS' BS software that I don't need, my cable internet rocks, and with my Linksys router, I have no probs with hackers.

Call me a stubborn SOB. :D <=== so very true

**edited by Brundle to remove anything that may be construed as a flame, or possible to invoke a flame**

Last edited:
Back