• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

avator and AMD vs Intel Duals..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

diehrd

Senior SMP Gawd
LOl it seams my determined dedication to AMD may change as I just started to order the components for a Xeon system....

I am thinking I should consider changing my avator for something less anti intel .lmao..

Snip by SickBoy, you should know better

Any one ever get anything above 3.2 on these LV 1.6 Xeons I am about to get D1 steping ? I am gonna do all the mods and keep my water cooling for them...

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the dark side, Luke.

Fishy said people got 3.2 on AIR, so I'm pretty sure you can get more than that, unless you hit a wall, but with the right RAM/mods, I'm sure you can.

Asus NCCH-DL looks like the best choice for a mobo, since you can upgrade to Noconas later and it should work pretty well in the meantime. The set is only $100, so even then, you can't really feel bad about buying it.

well to get over 3.2 you usualy need more voltage, cooling isn't the thing holding these back. The problem though, the voltage mods on these boards are very tough...I mean expert level soldering skills/equiptment, and failure means your out a $200+ board.

ajrettke said:
well to get over 3.2 you usualy need more voltage, cooling isn't the thing holding these back. The problem though, the voltage mods on these boards are very tough...I mean expert level soldering skills/equiptment, and failure means your out a $200+ board.

Expert soldering skills ? Wait a minute lol I aint gonna go that far ..I have seen a few on air hit 3.2..So maybe with a good water set up i can do that or better..

well it seems cooling isn't the problem, it';s just luck fo the draw for chip and voltage which limits them, when I had the stock IWT's on (I chagned the fans to ultra quiet 80mm ones which don't cool as well) I was only hitting 37c full load at 2.8ghz and 1.6v (1.57 actual)...so I doubt water would help.

Well when I get it all in front of me I will see what i can get it to..

diehrd said:
Expert soldering skills ? Wait a minute lol I aint gonna go that far ..I have seen a few on air hit 3.2..So maybe with a good water set up i can do that or better..

Yeah. Specifically, on the Asus PC-DL, the cpu vcore can not be set above 1.6 volts. The motherboard will not allow it to protect the chip. There have been people who have been able to get around this, but like they said, it takes quite the solderer, and its very easy to destroy a $200 motheboard with this mod.

On the other hand, however, most chips can go above 2.8ghz with the pin mod to 1.6 volts. Many make it to 3-3.2ghz. Also, some people even make it to and above 2.6ghz with the stock voltage... thats quite an overclock with very low power :-]

dude, diehrd ..... as always i see your common expression "LOL", "LMAO", "ROFLMAO" .....

hahah this is a thread crap LOL :p

....grrrr ... traitor ;)

MameXP said:
dude, diehrd ..... as always i see your common expression "LOL", "LMAO", "ROFLMAO" .....

hahah this is a thread crap LOL :p

....grrrr ... traitor ;)

HA HA HA LMAO ...ROFLMAO and lol..

I am a trader,,,I have to admit and can only say I was the First person at our site to actually get into the Dual AMD boards,,And to still be on the same system this many years after they where introduced does say somethig about my AMD attitude and the platforms ability to keep me content..

I will miss it,, but soon I am gonna just smash MameXp and his MPX system with a new Xeon box LOL...LMAO and ROFLMAO...he he he

Ya ready for a new set of benchmark compititions MamaXP ? ? I hope the MPX aint shaking it's heats sinks off ..The Intel is on it's way to pay it's respects..MPX RIP......Oh and if ya say you have water cooling I suggest ya make sure the warer dont get shaken out of the blocks...ahhh haaaa

Water cant not be shaken out of blocks, they leak out ;).

But hell no my MPX is shaken by any of those LV sissy. Its waiting for a battle. FOR THE TROY!!!!!!

MameXP said:
Water cant not be shaken out of blocks, they leak out ;).

But hell no my MPX is shaken by any of those LV sissy. Its waiting for a battle. FOR THE TROY!!!!!!

I love a challange..I just hate to beat a guy with such conviction..

But it wil be fun any way..So crank and tweak that piper cub and do what ya can cause in 2 weeks I should be ready to pass ya by like an SR71 Black Bird....

diehrd said:
HA HA HA LMAO ...ROFLMAO and lol..

I am a trader,,,I have to admit and can only say I was the First person at our site to actually get into the Dual AMD boards,,And to still be on the same system this many years after they where introduced does say somethig about my AMD attitude and the platforms ability to keep me content..
Do you go back this far with dual AMD boards?

Old thread from Feb 2002

DaveB said:
Do you go back this far with dual AMD boards?

Old thread from Feb 2002

I actually go as far back as the Tyan MP when it was released...I ordered one as soon as availibility was offered..I also used as my first Processors XP chips at the time everyone was convinced the MP processor was factory tested for MP and ones tha failed got marked XP ...Ha ha ha ha ha .. It was amazing the stories told about how an XP would not wok in the Dual boards...

I also was the one to ask Skip to open the SMP section.. Also I do know there was no other boards available on the market from any manufacture BUT Tyan when I got into it..S2460 Mp ...

Yeah, I used a pair of retail XP1800s in my first Asus A7M266D setup and they worked like a charm. I had three of those motherboards, two MSI K7D Master Ls, and one Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW-P. Since then I had an MSI K8T Master2 FAR dual Opteron and four Asus PC-DL dual Xeon setups. Plus I had a dual PII 700 @ 933 setup and an MSI dual Tualatins setup mixed in there earlier. I guess I'm addicted to duallies, but unlike you, am not afraid to use both AMD and Intel stuff 'cause I like 'em both!

IIRC Skip wanted to buy my first modded A7M266D overclocked setup for one of the sites servers, but someone had alread sent me the cash for it.

I have just been partial to AMD ..I love the under dog..And was impressed when they beat Intel to the 1GHz processor speed..That was a high Mark for AMD back then.

I think Now I am just looking for something new to fiddle with..The MPX platform is just not excitong to me as I am very schooled in it and hope the Xeon will open new learning curve for me ....

I don't honestly think the Xeon even at 3.2 is that much faster then an MPX like in my Sig, but I like the idea of such high FSB speeds to tinker with...

I've never used a dual processor PC. But, i have been looking into getting one, and it seems like the best platform would be to get a dual dual core xeon. Intel is finally going to get rid of the shared bus and get a dual front side bus/CPU. The dual core Xeon will also have HT which will allow it to process 8 threads at once which i must say is a folders dream :D...here's so more detail about the dual independant front side busses
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2265

I'm trying to figure out if there will actually be an increase and bandwith. But, according to this (http://www.anandtech.com/showdoc.html?i=1483&p=12) it should increase the memory bandwith alot

diehrd said:
The MPX platform is just not excitong to me as I am very schooled in it and hope the Xeon will open new learning curve for me ....

Xeon actually has nothing for you to learn really, gee its just another platform ;). But please do fold if you have one, i almost got one just for folding.

Also make sure your LVs are ready, how does dual 2.7ghz barton core sound to ya? :D

MameXP said:
Xeon actually has nothing for you to learn really, gee its just another platform ;). But please do fold if you have one, i almost got one just for folding.

Also make sure your LVs are ready, how does dual 2.7ghz barton core sound to ya? :D

Well if ya can hit 2.7 gigs with the bartons lets see it lmao....I think that is quite a dream on the MPX with the lack of a Pci lock...But not impossible..

Any way I am loooking foward to the contest..I sure hope ya dont mind being second .....

Opterons are nice, but:

Opterons = $$$$$

I really liked my dual old Opteron setup, but one lousy 246 CPU costs just about you would pay for an Asus PC-DL, two LV Xeons, two Intel HS/Fans, and 1GB of PC3200 DDR (I'm running mine at 3.1 GHz). From Pricewatch:

OEM Opteron 246 - $441
Coolermaster HS/Fan - $15
Total = $456

vs.

2 x 1.6 LV Xeons D1 stepping - $110 (eBay)
2 x Retail Intel HS/Fans - $25 9eBay)
Asus PC-DL - $193
2 x 512MB Mushkin PC3200 - $136
Total = $464

Actually, since I got a refurbed PC-DL, I even paid less. ;) I had a dual 242 setup about a year ago, but it was too slow since they don't OC much from the default 1.6 GHz. I figured I needed a pair of 2 GHz 246s to get the performance boost I needed to keep up with my overclocked Xeons. But the price was too high, so my dual Opterons setup got sold.

Back