• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A potential solution to todays heat problems?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

chaosdriven

Hi All,
I ran across a company website that should be of interest to all overclockers, assuming that what they present is ever adopted by the major CPU fabricators.
In any case it makes for an interesting read! Check out the "Isotopically pure silicon-28 delivers high thermal conductivity" link when you get there....sounds to me like it would go a long way in addressing thermal issues with Prescott!

Here is the link to their page of specific interest.

So what they actually do is bring down the resistance (ohms) of the material, so you can suffice with alot less voltage.

That sounds good, but I wonder what the purification process costs.

significantly improving the material's thermal conductivity - up to 600%

The thermal conductivity of a material is equivalent to the quantity of heat that passes in unit time through unit area of a plate, when its opposite faces are subject to unit temperature gradient (e.g. one degree temperature difference across a thickness of one unit).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thermal_conductivity

so what if the thermal conductivity is better, the processor will still churn out 90W which needs to go into a heatsink....

or am I wrong here cause my understanding of thermal conductivity is the same then wikipedias

EDIT: ahh i read the other link makes more sense now but still seems to me that processor will still churn out enough heat!!!! :mad:

germanjulian said:
so what if the thermal conductivity is better, the processor will still churn out 90W which needs to go into a heatsink....

or am I wrong here cause my understanding of thermal conductivity is the same then wikipedias

its about electric conductivity, not thermal. When the electric conductivity (dont know if thats the english term, thats why i spoke in Ohms earlier) goes down, you need less voltage to maintain the same signal strength.

Less voltage = less current = less heat.

Sjaak said:
its about electric conductivity, not thermal. When the electric conductivity (dont know if thats the english term, thats why i spoke in Ohms earlier) goes down, you need less voltage to maintain the same signal strength.

Less voltage = less current = less heat.

yes I know but on that first page it says thermal conductivity improves by 600%!!!! NOT electrical....
:clap:

but it seems electrical improves too slight oh who cares my barton is fine :)

germanjulian said:
yes I know but on that first page it says thermal conductivity improves by 600%!!!! NOT electrical....
:clap:

but it seems electrical improves too slight oh who cares my barton is fine :)

Well if the material gets more pure, thereby enhancing the thermal conductivity, it has to be good for the electrical conductivity, too, since electricity likes pure (semi-)conductors. Question remains how much advantage it will bring.

I completely agree. We are all looking at heat as being the source of the problem, and that is completely not true. Chip manufacturors need to make more efforts to use lower voltage, lower current processors.

Just think how much energy is being wasted with the production of heat. That energy (heat) just bleeds off into our rooms/office and is wasted. We need to either not produce as much heat, or find a way to do something useful with the heat produced (other than creating an electric heater).

Stop developing technology and crazy gadgets to spread and lower the heat- but start developing new processes that create more efficient processors.

Back