• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Was anyone EVER able to run dual Tualatin Celerons?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
What was the best board for overclocking with dual Tualatin P3's? VP6, BP6? Asus and Abit don't even have good documentation on their websites about these anymore.

There simply are not alot of decent boards for dual PIII-S. Intel's duals went to the OR840(RAMBUS), slot-1 with no slotket support, or serverworks chipsets(Reg ECC SDRAM). Both with no overclocking. There were a couple of Via chipset boards with DDR, MSI 266 TD-LR and Iwill DVD266u-RN. I have an Iwill and it overclocks pretty well. My SCSI RAID controller errors out above 150FS on a pair of 1.26 PIII-S that run stabily at 1.52Ghz. The MSI seems to have been more stable than the Iwill. I seem to have been one of the lucky ones, as horror stories are frequent with these boards. It does not have 1/5 divisors for the PCI bus, so I haven't ever pushed it to it's limits due to the PCI frequency limitations on the SCSI.

Asus P3C-D w/ upgradeware slockets. i820 chipset, rambus.

Great PCI bandwidth, great memory bandwidth, good overclocking options (for its time).

Just don't try and use SDRAM in it because the i820 MCH is faulty.

No 1/5 divisor huh? 41.5 isn't TOO BAD though. It's a nice thought, to have a Tually Dually running at 166 MHz FSB because you have DDR SDRAM that'll handle it without any problem. Feed me info and I MIGHT have a REALLY interesting project in hand. I'm talking about a PIII Tually Dually REALLY CHEAP!!! AND with DDR. What would you think about that?

Good Luck! The decent speed grade PIII-S chips are astronimically priced. The 1.26s and 1.4s are around 150 to 160 per chip on pricewatch. 1.13s are down to 75 per chip. These chips hold their value well due to server markets. The boards are also getting hard to find as well.

The other main advantage is these are low wattage chips. OC'd under full loads with cheap stock AMD coolers, they were running in the low 30s. PS loads are also low.

I got into them only because I had chips available. Otherwise they'd be cost prohibitive. It'd be cheaper to move to an entry level Xeon.

If I find a motherboard, just watch me work. Don't worry 'bout it. BTW, I looked up that MSI board, and I don't see it even on their website. Even under their discontinued products.

i had the MSI 266 TD-LR and it was okay...i think i used onboard raid on that board...and the machine would crash and i would have to reinstall windows...other than that, the board was good to 150mhz fsb...and not stable with hard drives above that...

i used 1.4ghz p3-s chips and pin modded the sockets for 1.65v...got them to 1580mhz stable (the chips could do 1690mhz, but the pci devices weren't stable)

even though it used DDR, it couldn't take advantage of the extra bandwidth, in reality it was only 5-10% more than SDRAM

the cost of this setup off of ebay is $250-350 for chips (1.26-1.4ghz) and $50-100? for a board...$300-450 total

the cost of dual 1.6ghz LV xeon system, that o/c to 3ghz+ is about $110 for chips and $150-250 for the board...$260-360 total

the performance difference, provided you have DDR ram for both setups is quite striking...the dual xeon will be quite a bit faster in many things and at least a decent amount faster in FPU intensive tasks

That's not what I was planning on doing. I said cheap and I mean cheap. I'm talkin $180.00 - $220.00 for processor AND motherboard. And if I find the right chips, 1.6 should be a cinch. If 150 is stable, then 1800 should be at least possible if not likely. If it doesn't work going dual, then I'll try it single and see what happens, I guess it would be a LOT easier to use some of the established single processor boards, since they just didn't make so many for SMP. I'm definitely interested in the Apollo Pro 266 chipset though. Either that one or the one from ALI. I want to use DDR platforms to eliminate the PC133 bottleneck. PC166 is gone and finding the right PC133 will be exhaustive and expensive. It's easy and cheap to find DDR that'll run 166 and higher at low latencies.

Oh yeah, and forget about the practical applications. This is pure techie nirvana, done for the love of the game, nothing else.

Look for tB1 steppings. You should get 1700~1750mhz out of a tB1 PIII-S-1400.

... the P3s only have a 133FSB so running DDR266 won't get you anywhere. And the VIA Apollo PCI and memory busses are so bad anyways you're better off with a i400BX/i815/i820/i840 board.

Back