• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

A simple web server idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

MadSkillzMan

Hey guys. I know many of us run a webserver out of our bedrooms using the old junker dually.....not even that powerful, especially if its only hosting HTML pages.

Im sure most of us have routers/DSL modems with "web servers" inside that nly serve your network with pages for the options.

And im one of those people that cant stand to leave my rigs on unless theyre doing something important (downloading, folding, rendering etc)

So the thought hit me. What is there was a device you put on your network, that took memory cards, and did nothing more than host your own website. I think itd be a pretty cool little item. Yea i knwo webspace doesnt cost much...but think, say you take a few pictures on your digital camera...heck you wouldnt even hafta copy to your PC, you could just stick the mem card in...update it from a PC on your network, or take the mem cards out and edit somewhere else.

Personally id find this useful, since i like to put hi-res images on the web, tired of bandwidth limits, and most of all, how else could i show off my own video compositions easily? Its not easy to find cheap (if they exist) servers to host an stream a 10mb+ AVI file and NOT lose ur bandwidth within 200 veiws or so.

Not only do you get rid of bandwith limits, but rid of charges...the only thing youd hafta pay for is the URL, and ifyour cheap and not that serios (like me) you could jsut get a .cjb.net account.

Im talking no CPU fans, no moving parts...just like your DSL modem (altho they do have motorolla CPUs in them)

Wouldnt it be sweet if they made something like that dedicated and designed for game servers?

So what do you guys think? If something like that exists, SWEET. im getting one.

Not only do you get rid of bandwith limits, but rid of charges...

Wait, how do your bandwidth limits go away by hosting it off your home dsl line?

You can already make one of these now.

Buy a fanless mini-itx box with two CF slots, put Linux on one and configure Apache to serve out the other. Forward port 80 to it. Done.

well like, our DSL line really doesnt have a limit....at all....its SBC...now theres some services i heard where once you reach your bandwidth limit, it still displays the files, but ti charges for it.

awhile back someone hosted their own server, and some haxx0rs did a number on it, and since he went over the limit, the ISP was charging him way extra.

I have currently about 7 computers in my home, adn we really dont notice a slow down in speeds...now if theyre all DLing at once, yea you will notice...but generally, im pretty confident this line takes whatever we throw at it.

The mini ITX is notta bad idea at all...altho the SBC Comps are much smaller and interchangeable...

im really surprised nothing like that exists already. lol invention time

well like, our DSL line really doesnt have a limit....at all....its SBC...now theres some services i heard where once you reach your bandwidth limit, it still displays the files, but ti charges for it.

The meager upload will put a damper on any ambitious file-hosting schemes I mean.

Back