• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with random power down

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

Today I was playing some heavy Call of Duty, and out of nowhere the computer just shuts down. Complete shutdown, as it the power had gone out or something. But everything else stayed on, so I know it wasn't a power issue.

I checked my MBM log, the max temp on the CPU had been 47c. The 12v had gone as low as 12.3, the 5v as low as 4.95, and the 3.3 as low as 3.19. these all seem to be well within acceptable range to me. This PSU is very solid, I doubt it would be the culprit.

I'm prime stable at this speed for hours and hours, I don't know what the problem might be. My BIOS is set to shutdown at 85c, so that wouldn't be it. MBM is not set to do a shutdown at all...

I have had this happen once before as well when playing Unreal 2k4 during a heavy game. I restarted and played for a long ime, didn't happen again.

I suspect nearly everyone will blame your PSU. Do you have another to try out?

Probably power supply, you may also want to check your GPU cooling system. Also make certain that your system is not set to 'shut down on system failure' and givin yuo a BSOD, then shutting down. Thing is that these kind of problems, while typically related to your power supply, can be caused by any hardware or software component in the system.

*edited for grammar*

I have VGA Silencer, seems to work fine, getting good OC from my video card.

I don't have another PSU to test with, but it's wierd cuz I play games all the time, and it has only happened 2 times. This PSU should be more than enough juice for what I'm running, and the rails are solid.

where is the setting for "power down on failure" or whatever its called?

Back