• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's likely to be dead in this system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

warlock110

I tried to reived an old P3 933mhz system, but it doesn't powered up (nothing powered up, no fans nothing), so here are the components that i used.

ASUS mobo + P3 933 chip (this has been laying around for about 1 and a half year, i just clean off the thermal compound on the chip, i had to used a tooth pick to clean some spot because it sticked on too tight)

420 PSU TT purepower i just got from newegg 1 week ago, i just pulled it out of the duron rig i'm using because i got a new antec case that has a PSU in there, and i don't feel like changing the PSU so it's layed there for 2 days.

256MB of PC133 ram that's been laying around for about 1 year

Raidmax case (could this be the problem? is it possible that the case's power button doesn't work rite? i just used this case about 3 days ago, before i got the new antec.

Old APG ATI graphic card (don't know the brand, borrowed from my friend.

anyways, could any of these components causes the thing not to power up? i'm frustrated and i got no way to test each components, i might grab a duron 1.6 combo tomorrow to test this out :(

what do you mean by laying around? Is it possible that any of the parts may have gotten fried by static discharge if you haven't stored them properly.

DuckDodgers said:
Could it be something as simple as the power button wire plugged in backwards or in the wrong spot?

nope, something is dead for sure, here's the step that i did

plug in the power pin
plug in HDD
plug in CDrom

i checked everything twice, and switching the power pin too, i got no PC speaker but that shouldn't be the problem, as long as the power pin is plug in, i can power up the computer. i think something is dead. When i said laying around, i just put the thing in a paper box and throw it in my closet, it might have moved around alot :)

It is either a) the PSU, or b) the mobo. Try a different PSU that you know functions properly. If it still doesn't turn on w/ the verified PSU, it's most likely the motherboard. Another possibility is the CMOS battery. Many batteries, if just "lying around" for a long time and still plugged into the board, will eventually drain. Try a new battery (they're usually pretty cheap).

For the record, parts (mobo/CPU/RAM/VGA card, etc) should never "just lie around". Toss 'em in some anti-static bags and tuck 'em away in a box, and put it in the closet somewhere.

Check and recheck that everything from cables to cards is plugged in properly. I almost bought myself a new mobo, because I hadn't stuck the graphic card properly...

Back