• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

speaker with radio interference

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

DeathAngelLST

I've tried everything, from shielding the cables with aluminum paper to putting them away from any eletromagnetic source. It just doesn't go away. Any ideas?

What kind of radio signal is it getting? Is this a CB set? If so you can install pass filters on the radio transmitter to quiet down the interference. IF the transmitter is NOT yours I would suggest speaking to the owner of the transmitter about the problem. IF this is a commercial radio station and you are simply too close to its tower then replacement with a good set of well sheilded speakers should fix you up.

Z

You might also try the simple step of tying a knot in each end of the cable or get a choke filter from RatShack (it's one of those doughnuts you loop the cable around).

I can hear the radio station. The tower is just a couple miles from here.
I removed the tinfoil from the cables and it quieted down. There's still little interference though.

One of the reasons that you can hear the radio station through your speakers is that your speaker cable is the proper length to act as an antena to that frequency. Putting a knot in the cable is good for preventing spikes in the line itself. That's not what you're dealing with here. Generally, when you get this kind of interference, it is not the fault of the transmitter. It is usually the fault of the equipment (phone, speakers, etc.) that is receiving the interference. Most cheap equipment does not meet FCC standards. A filter can help. New speakers, if they are of higher quality, will help too. Perhaps changing the length of the speaker cable will work too. Coiling the cable will not help. You actually have to make the total length of the cable different.

Back