• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Uh oh... Smoke just poured out of my PC...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

canadianpsycho

OK, So I'm fiddling with my OC in my PC

Then I smell smoke, look at my PC in a desparate rush to power it down... Smoke is coming from my nexus fan controller. PC is loading windows normally as I'm freaking out.

I take apart the PC. All the connectors near the Nexus (IDEs, ATX power, checked DIMMs) all look OK. The nexus is warm, and smells funny, but I see nothing burnt out on the board.

Obviously I can't plug the fricken nexus back in, but is it safe to power up my system again?

Was up to 285 FSB x 9 on my FX-53 at 1.6Vcore, DRAM 1:1 (TCCD OCZ Plat Rev.2) at 2.75 and 1.60 vagp.

Was just trying 289 (2600 MHz, which I have posted @ before but not stable) when this happened.

Any tips? Really don't want to fry my system.

just make sure the nexus is outa there and no bare leads are exposed, it should be fine

what were you powering on the nexus? make sure the fans you put on it aren't too much for it.

Finally, after looking over the nexus for the 5th time, I found the capacitor at fault it was barely noticeable.

I only had 3 120mm Deltas (not sure of model number, not exremely loud or anyhting) on the Nexus, the CCFL controller was broken. Not sure if the cap decided to go because of the faulty CCFL or if it was just "its time" I was using the nexus for at least a few months until this decided to happen.

I'm pleased to report I didn't fry my PC.

Still not stable at 2.6 though :(

Back