• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NCCH-DL Q and A...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

CRFIII

Ok folks... I need some help with mine Asus NCCH-DL dual xeon mobo...

These are my questions to start the thread...

1. The hardware monitor seems to be beyond my present ability to get going... I installed SMNP and IIS(WinXPpro) and yadda yadda... I used Internet Explorer and did got the logon popup... password wouldn't open it though... checked and changed password... tried no password... yadda yadda... still no worky... pis me off... :mad:

Help...

I intend to try Win2k Server OS next and see if that works... :confused:

2. Has anyone else loaded this mother board with full 4 gigs... have they had trouble?... I had some trouble initially with running full, but it straightened out with new Enermax 660 power supply... I've been running balls out SETI for a couple weeks now with 4 gig... no problems at all... then out of the blue the RAM starts acting up again(errors and reboots)... to the point of no boot at all... nothing but beeps and groans(and a "ppbbbbbb" sound:~)... I take out 1 or 2 sticks of RAM and wammo, no more problemo... everything runs fine... RAM slots used in all different configurations... all worked except full 4 gigs(4 slots)... I tried doing whatever I did before to get it going so good, but I can't even get it to boot now with full RAM... running 2 gigs for 24 hours now to see if I get more SETI done with 2-3 gigs or full 4(if I ever get full 4 back again, that is:~(...

I tried increasing Dram voltage... still no booty... it took too much time(SETI record atempt:~), so I went on 2 gig dual channel and am recording data... perhaps this mobo will be faster with 1-2 gig less RAM... who knows...

Anyone have any ideas?

A friend of mine has that board, with dual 2.8 chips, and had problems as well, just like you describe. That was with all 4 dimm slots populated. With just 2 populated his problems went away. It sorta reminds me of how the 875 chipset won't run dual channel with pat enabled, and all dimms filled.

I had no problems with my first PC-DL running with 4 sticks of Mushkin BH-6. With all DIMM slots full, PAT did disable but it ran fine. It's also an 875 chipset mobo and very similar to the NCCH-DL.

Pat?

Does the NCCH-DL have PAT?... if so, can I disable it?... I didn't notice anything in the bios settings about PAT... I googled it and I get it as some sort of Asus automatic OC(Performance Acceleration Technology?)... is that right?... perhaps that is what is messing up the 4th slot?...

I'd probably give up the 4th slot if it didn't do dual channel... does PAT have anything to do with dual channel?

Thanks for all your help. :)

CRFIII said:
Does the NCCH-DL have PAT?... if so, can I disable it?... I didn't notice anything in the bios settings about PAT... I googled it and I get it as some sort of Asus automatic OC(Performance Acceleration Technology?)... is that right?... perhaps that is what is messing up the 4th slot?...

I'd probably give up the 4th slot if it didn't do dual channel... does PAT have anything to do with dual channel?

Thanks for all your help. :)

Yes it has PAT. From what I have been reading it disables itself when all 4 DIMM slots are populated.

The MB will be faster with PAT than without. I think I saw some hacks out there to enable PAT past 200mhz and w/ 4 sticks of memory. Ill see if I can turn anything up.

Id also test each stick on its own, to see if you can find any issues with one stick. Could have a bad one in the batch.

Got it...

{PMS}fishy said:
Yes it has PAT. From what I have been reading it disables itself when all 4 DIMM slots are populated.

The MB will be faster with PAT than without. I think I saw some hacks out there to enable PAT past 200mhz and w/ 4 sticks of memory. Ill see if I can turn anything up.

Id also test each stick on its own, to see if you can find any issues with one stick. Could have a bad one in the batch.

Good advice... and it paid off... had one bad stick apparently... though it worked as a single with 3 slots full(no dual channel)... wouldn't go by itself or with it's mate... it was working for about 2 weeks, but must've burned... lifetime warranty is real cool... :)

I should have new sticks in a week or so... SETI is still running in the 32+ work units per day with only 2 sticks so we're ok for now(lost 20 minutes doing RAM switch arounds though:~)... and hopefully will get a lot better with all good RAM... I can't wait...

Thanks for all the help... hopefully some day I can return the favor...

Charlie

Back