• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Just got my SMP going, OR NOT. Msi K7d Master L Boot error..

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Excelsior

KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!! KITTENS!!!
So, I just got the main stuff I need.

I got the CPUs, and I got the board, K7d MAster L, rev 1, then one of the important numbers present a few times on the thing is "030"

Anyhow, so I slip the 2x barton mobile 2600+s that were previously in some other guy's k7d L, that was pin modded.. and it gives me a beep code of this:

HIGH low HIGH low HIGH low HIGH low

continously, and I can't figure out what it is. PSU is connected, j4 power is connected, I bought some cheapy heatsinks at BB to hold me off, but they're sufficient for stock... I have a cheapy vidcard on there, and 2x 256 MB pc3200 Hyperx for right now.

Anyone got any ideas? The guy said he didn't have ot do any additional mods to the proc itsself before they worked in HIS, and from what I read they should work on 030 rev or greater or summit. I'm completely stumped, do I have to cut some bridges or what? :/

Lemme know, thanks.

-Excelsior

i had the same problem ^_^

iill go with dead cpu. probably a crushed core..

same thing happend to me, and turned out to be a cpu failer... its probably died in shipping?

change gfx card. change ram .. re-seat check the mobo's not shorting.. you know the drill...

maybe try one cpu on its own? or a differnt amd cpu in the motherboard?

Enyo said:
i had the same problem ^_^

iill go with dead cpu. probably a crushed core..

same thing happend to me, and turned out to be a cpu failer... its probably died in shipping?

change gfx card. change ram .. re-seat check the mobo's not shorting.. you know the drill...

maybe try one cpu on its own? or a differnt amd cpu in the motherboard?

ugh... dont draw conclusion so fast bro....

What is your bios version right now?

Check with one PCU in master socket first to see if it boots. Theck check another one in that same master socket. If all your CPUs are working fine then probably the board doesnt like mobile....

I dont havet KD7Master-L but as i recall there is a bios mod for it to run mobiles in MP .

Do some search on this forum i'm sure you will find some info.

Good luck, and be cool

It should be working fine with a single XP, even the manual states it supports a single XP. Don't know what BIOS is running. I tried Clearing CMOS. running a single barton CPU in the first socket. Tried a 1700+ I /KNOW/ works. Same thing. Made sure everyhting was working, restarted..........SAME THING.

No idea what's wrong.

so you're saying even with one CPU in the "master" socket it still gives the same problem?

And even with a working chip? i think your board is the reason.

can you check the beep code on the manual? Usually long beep is CPU failure.

PS. Did you buy the board used? sounds like you're out of luck.

MameXP said:
so you're saying even with one CPU in the "master" socket it still gives the same problem?

And even with a working chip? i think your board is the reason.

can you check the beep code on the manual? Usually long beep is CPU failure.

PS. Did you buy the board used? sounds like you're out of luck.

I can confirm my 1700+ worked fine, in the baord, it gives the high low high low high low repeating error :cry:

edit: oh, and I can't find beep codes in the manual, just what the DLED bracket says... and the dled bracket shows green green, red red. ACcording to the manual that means "Decompressing BIOS image to RAM for fast booting."

It's almost surely not the processor, as the mobo goes throught he following checks according to the manual:

Proc
chipset
memory detection
bios image to ram
keyboard
blah blah

It gets stuck on BIOS image to RAM. If I remove memory, It hangs at Memory detection. Therefore I know it's getting past the part where it says "The d-led will hang here if processor is damaged or not installed properly."

What to do now :cry: :cry: :cry:

Yeah, I did get it used.

Last edited:
what ram are you using and do u have it installed in the first 2 slots closest to cpu 0/1

edit : you said
and 2x 256 MB pc3200 Hyperx for right now.

so as stui_nz said below try the 100 mhz jumper and make sure its in the slots first 2 slots.

Last edited:
Theres a jumper on the board to set fsb to 100Mhz. If this gets you to bios, set memory timings to 16,16,6,2,2,2,3 then reboot at 133Mhz fsb.

What socket are you using ? The CPU 1 posistion is the upper right one as you look into the case..Are you using a USB key board ?

If you try to boot with out any memory is there a beep ? No AGp ? No processors ? I would remove 1 of those items at a time and se if the beep codes for them are what you are hearing now..

Are you sure the memory is good?

Try running with different memory or at least try running with only one stick of memory (try each individually).

stui_nz said:
Theres a jumper on the board to set fsb to 100Mhz. If this gets you to bios, set memory timings to 16,16,6,2,2,2,3 then reboot at 133Mhz fsb.
I've been trying to boot at 100 FSB. Yes, the memory is in banks 1 and 2. The last two banks (3 and 4) Are empty. Even if I try to boot with one stick. I KNOW the memory is good. I can try to boot with one hyperx stick, no dice. I even try to boot with my Twinmos pc3200 stick, same thing.
diehrd said:
What socket are you using ? The CPU 1 posistion is the upper right one as you look into the case..Are you using a USB key board ?

If you try to boot with out any memory is there a beep ? No AGp ? No processors ? I would remove 1 of those items at a time and se if the beep codes for them are what you are hearing now..

The one labeled CPU 1, and the one that the manual told em to use for single processor. As I said, if I try to boot without memory the DLED bracket pauses at CHECKING MEMORY and beeps. I've tried without any AGP, and it doesn't even get to the part where it checks for an AGP card before it goes into the problem I had earlier

MameXP said:
The board you bought could be dead.... did you try to contact the seller ?

Hope its not that tho...

I just assumed that's it, and filled out an RMA request form with MSI. The seller basically bought it a while ago from someone who had it working, then kept it in his closet because he never got the processors to match it. Anyhow, he's reputable so I don't think it's his fault anyhow, so I'll take the (small) blow of shipping cost and waiting a few more weeks by RMAing it. IF anyone has any ideas, IT won't go out to ship until ~wednesday, so I'd appreciate any advice :D

stui_nz said:
I'm thinking incompatible RAM. HyperX is probably
incompatible, that twinmos might be to.

Well just crap. Just got my RMA number, but I'll go to best buy and a few other stores REALLY quickly, and pick up some RAM to test int his beast, if IT boots I can cancel the RMA! Please let me know of these brands what do you imagine will work best:

Kingston pc3200 NON hyperx (Valueram most likely)
Corsair 512 MB pc3200
Mushkin Green Line 512MB PC3200

Thanks, it'd be a HUGE help.

-Excelsior

Oh yeah and "VIKING" no name from BB

Beep-boop-beep-boop-beep-boop like a siren usually happened when my CPUs overheated. The machine would run but it did its little siren thing.

Check the in-socket temp sensors are OK and that cooling is attached properly. Try using a 100MHz FSB just to see if that works.

Excelsior said:
Okay, it's boiled down to this, and I need an answer ASAP!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...81797&productCategoryId=cat01169&type=product
or
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage...89394&productCategoryId=cat01169&type=product

one pc2700, one pc3200, kingston said that with my board pc266 aka pc2100 KVR is what they want to sell me, but maybe one of those would work? LET ME KNOW PLEASE

Thanks,

-Excelsior

Any unbuffered RAM of PC2100 speeds or better will work in slots 1 and 2 of that board, and any registered RAM PC2100 or better will work in all four slots.

MameXP said:
Corsair, I've been using it since day one.

BB carries those brand? I'm surprised

Yeah they carry on thier site... Mushkin greenline is on another site that's local to me. Anyhow, DAMNIT I'M BONED.

They list "UNAVAILABLE" at all their locations when I look for in store pickup. Wanna take a guess as to which of the kingston will work with me?

http://nanosys1.com/mem-dd-c5123200.html

I CAN get that hopefully, just take a REALLY fast drive to Minneapolis. Think it'll work? And think I should get it over risking the pc2700 or pc3200 kingston?

Back