• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

General upgrade ideas

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Project86

I have $130 in my paypal, thinking about what I could do for upgrades.

I was thinking-another 512mb stick of RAM?
Or maybe a 6600GT and then sell my 9800?
How about a Raptor?

I want something that will have at least SOME noticable increase, and will also last for a while.

I would go with the ram or raptor. Preferably the ram, although i'm not sure if you'll still be able to use dual channel unless you get another 2x256.

yeah dont sell the 9800Pro(and get a 6600 x)...its a pretty sweet card...and compared to other stuff it wouldnt give u an overall boost (mabe a small boost in 3D gaming only)

RAM for sure, the 6600gt isn't worth the cost of the upgrade over your current card. The raptor might be decent, but RAM is by far the one that'll be the most noticable.

Ok, so if I go RAM, I got another question:

I can get a really fast stick of 512mb BH5 for my budget. Then I'd fill all 3 slots in my mobo, have a gig of RAM, but not be running dual channel. This way I have really fast RAM in case I upgrade later and OC a lot more, or later pick up a matching 512mb stick for dual channel and then sell my Kingmax.

Or I could buy one of the budget 2x512mb packs, like corsair value PC3200 or something similar. This would allow me to still run dual channel, but I would pretty much be at my OC limit, or might even have to back down a little.

So I guess the question is: how much is dual channel gonna make a difference?

NsOmNiA91130 said:
I say monitor or some kick-*** speakers *looks one way, then the other* why are you all staring at me? :eh?:

I dont think he will be able to get either with that amount of $$.

I'm lost.... an LCD for $100? is it 4"????

I already have h20???? Nobody told me :)

what I do have is a 19" Viewsonic, and some decent Polk speakers (don't know the numbers). I would love a nice LCD, but am waiting for them to be cheaper with lower response times.

Back to my question though: adding 512mb of fast ram and no longer running dual channel (for now), or going with a matched pair of some Kingston or Corsair Value type PC3200?

you can still get the same oc on your cpu even if yur ram can't handle the speed, you just run the ram out of sinc with the fsb

but that would make me take a performance hit of course.

How big of a hit for running 2x256 plus 1x512 instead of 2x512 dual channel?

Back