• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

My turn for random restarts...this sucks.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Diggrr

Underwater Senior Member
My machine:
P4 3.2 Prescott, c0 stepping
Asus P4P800 SE v.2 w/06 bios
Mushkin Black label special 2.2.2 (not the v.2 stuff, the BH6) Stock settings
e-vga gforce 4 mx440 64Mg personal cinema (not a gamer)
2 Seagate Barracuda SATA (not raid) 80G 8M NTSC format
Fortron 400 watt psu. Rails are 11.98/5.05/3.42--never changes by more than .05 on each

Temps, believe it or not, are below room temp @15-16C today. I have a super duper watercooling system, and even the case air is chilled, so there's no condensation possible (sealed case too). Mobo temp is reporting 15C right now via speedfan.
Temps are NO problem.

I've gotten two reboots, one yesterday and one a minute ago, both while on the web in the forums so it's not like it's loaded down or something.

Here's the strange part..in bios I have it set to stay off after power failure, and when it restarts, it does not go through scandisk like when it's shutdown without windows' permission. It restarts as if I'd just powered up normal.
This lead me to check my virus scanner updates and my adaware too (neither needed them, I update very often) and run them in safe mode, with no problem found.
I download next to nothing due to a 56K connection to the 'net, and my e-mails are only work related with virus scanning on both ends.

Is there a way to do this remotely? like a scriptkiddie attack?

I'm gonna go run memtest to see if something's up with that.
Thanks for anything you can come up with.

I think I might have found the problem, a bios setting for my ram was off...don't remember changing that.
Anywho, my board had a problem running this ram when I first got it, and was terribly picky on settings. I'd finally found settings through trial and error, and it had been a rock since.
When I talked to mushkin at the time, they wouldn't replace or substitute it because it wasn't broken technically, they claimed it was a board incompatiblity though they had this board listed as tested and working fine on their site...must've missed the part that said only their board would work with it.

Since this "nonexistent incompatiblity" won't let me overclock even 5%, I'm thinking I'll send this ram down the line to my wife's computer and start shopping again.
Time to try Corsair Kingston or maybe Twinmos.

Kindof sad having to trade this $330 BH-6 ram for <$200 worth of some bargain ram because no-one will take the blame and I can't foot the bill to match it. :mad:

Anyway, thanks for reading my tale of woe.
Ya'll have a great night!

Back