• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Logitech MX510 or MX1000?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Keiron

I just had my last MS Intellimouse die on me (they last like 3-6 months, sick and tired of replacing them, even if they fit my hand to a T) and I was curious to know which one you guys think is better. The MX1000 doesn't seem to have a corded version, and I have had nothing but bad experiences with wireless mice, (I game alot and the lag tends to make me miss sniper shots) but Logitech claims that the MX1000 is as lag'less as a corded mouse, (here) and I would love to be able to move back to my bed when I'm watching a movie.
Anywho, which one do you guys prefer?

Logitech is coming out with a gamers version of the MX1000 (calling it the MX518 or something).

I'd go for the 510, because wireless is heavy, and I dont trust it for gaming

I'll even go for other types of mice, the MX's just seem to be the best overall. More or less just looking for a 5 button (L/R Clicks, scroll click, and the "forward" and "backword") or better mouse that's optical (or laser).

I've used a MX500, MX700, and a MX1000. I've gamed with all three, and they're all fantastic mice. There wasn't much if any difference between the MX500 and MX700 besides the wireless. I don't recall feeling any major lag with the MX700 and I've gamed on it for quite a long time and have had no problems or gripes with it.

Well actually, the only thing you'll have to get used to on the MX700 and MX1000 (pretty much all wireless mice) is that the sensor isn't located directly in the middle. Its hard to explain, but I did notice the difference when i first switched to the MX700. I got used to it quickly so its not a big deal.

Then from the MX700 to MX1000, the MX1000 is much wider and bigger. As for gaming, it's just as good. I've noticed almost no difference between the MX1000 and MX700 except for the fact its still able to sense movement like a centimeter higher than the MX700.

The wireless range on the MX1000 is also much better than the MX700.

I've also used the Intellimouse Explorer 4.0 for a little gaming, but I've used it alot less than my mx700 and the left click button is starting to go. (Left click isn't being picked up all the time)

The MX1000 is my favorite mouse ever, the cordless is perfect for using your mouse as a remote control in bed. ;) I went from a MX700 to the MX1000 and the latter is more comfortable, responsive, and has awesome battery life(lithium ion). Laser is the future, get one now!!

Got one MX510 on the way. If it turns out well, I'll throw it on the other box and order a MX1000. Thanks guys.

yep, no mx1000 lag...and it's cool to show to my non-geek friends to wow them

The MX1000 still has some problems though, like some people claim that the mouse skips. I had a problem where my mouse would skip while moving the mouse when i click the quickswitch button or mousescroll button. Logitech's solution is to use the ps/2 port which fixed my problems. It didn't fix everyone's so when getting a MX1000, the first thing I would do is to test check it to make sure it doesn't have any of these behaviors. If it does, see if you can run it on the ps/2 port or just return if its that bad.

I haven't used an mx1000 before, but I love my mx510. The added buttons are very handy when doing things (it has 8 buttons in total).

yeah, but i find that the quickswitch button on the mx500/510/700 etc. is in a hard to reach spot. The mx1000 moves it to where the thumb would be which makes it MUCH easier to use. even though i don't use quickswitch, i set it to double-click

Another vote for the MX1000 - used the MX700 for quite a while and the MX1000 did take some getting used to but since then I wouldnt give it back for nothing.

Hopefully this isn't too much of a hijack...

I've seen a lot of marketing hype about a lot of optical mice, and one of the things that is often repeated is a mouse's ability to pick up very fast movements. I, on the other hand, (using a M$ intellimouse explorer 2.0) have more trouble with minute movement tracking - slowly lining up a long-range sniper shot is like pulling teeth, because I have to move my hand fast enough for the mouse to pick up, often resulting in the cross-hair swinging completely past my target.

I've been seriously thinking about getting an MX510 (especially now that Amazon has the red ones for $30 and newegg has the blue ones for $33 - $10 MIR) - does anyone have any experiece specifically with minute movement detection on the MX510?

I have a cheapo logitech mouse and you can move it super slow and it picks the movement up fine, some cheap lesser known brand mice(like my dad wireless optical) don't do so well, but the logitechs seem fine.

I know it isn't on te original list, but I have an mx310 that I love. Its the 510's little brother. It has the 5 buttons you want and is a bit cheaper. I think the response is pretty much the same as the 510, although it might be slightly lower. If you want a great mouse for not that much cash (newegg has them for $19), the mx310 is a great choice.

To NicePants:

I have an mx510 and I have no problem moving the cursor one pixel at a time. My mousepad isn't so great though, and the mouse feet are wearing down. I plan to get teflon feet for it.

Thanks, Yuriman. My MX-510 came in today, and I am happy to report that I am completely incapable of moving this mouse without the mouse responding perfectly.

Back