• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

"overburn"

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NsOmNiA91130

OK, im making a mandrake disc (# 3) and i have 703 MB of space on the disc, but the file is 718 MB.

Nero is asking me if i should overburn, the minutes are

CD: 79:57.73
Mandrake ISO: 81:42.21

i have an HL-DT-ST RW/DVD GCC-4480B

the "specs" are:

Max Speed: 40x
Overburn: Supported
Buffer Underrun Protection: Supported
Disc-at-Once: CueSheet, DAO/96
CD TEXT: Supported
Recorder Buffer: 2048 KB
Mount Rainier: Supported

shall i click thy overburn button?

anyone? i dont have much time, by tomorrow ill be gone the entire day, then i have school, so...ive only got around na hour :-/

oh, and what the hell is overburn?

Probably too late but.....

Mandrake CD 3 is the I18N CD IIRC (and if they haven't changed which CDs do what since 9.0). Unless you're using/needing the internationlizing that it provides, you don't really even need the CD at all. If you want to burn it though, you can attempt an overburn. I'd make sure that you enable the verify option though to ensure a good burn.

Overburning allows Nero to fit more data on a CD than the CD says will fit. When you buy a 700MB CD, there's still usually foil physically past the 700MB mark. Usually it's pretty close to the edge, but it's possible to squeeze a few extra megs into that area. That area of the disk (since it's beyond the 700MB rated capacity) hasn't been quality control tested at all though, so it's possible that it is of poor quality out there. Overburning will let you squish more onto a CD if you absolutely need to, though without any garuntee of the success (which is why I suggest enabling Nero's verificaiton after burn)

JigPu

IF they haven't changed anything, I don't think you need the CD. When I downloaded Mandrake 9, the third CD contained only I18N (internationalization) data which Mandrake (if I understand correctly) would use if you told it to use some language other than English. I didn't use the I18N CD when I did my install (though it was a while ago, so I can't be sure), so I don't think you will either. Assuming nothing's changed, it should be fine to not burn the 3rd disc. If you don't want to take the risk, you can try overburning and see if it works. It should be fine :)

JigPu

Back